Tailwheel problems

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Mine will shimmy if I'm loaded heavy and the pressure is below 60.
I carry the entire wheel with mounted and inflated tire and bearings, and since I've started carrying it, I haven't needed it. :D

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

While on the tailwheel topic, I was given a tip by an MAF 10,000 hour C180 pilot. He said the quick way he would check tailwheel pressure in the field was after loading the plane, look at the contact point of the tire with the ground. It should form a square, not a rectangle.

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Maule 9V wrote:While on the tailwheel topic, I was given a tip by an MAF 10,000 hour C180 pilot. He said the quick way he would check tailwheel pressure in the field was after loading the plane, look at the contact point of the tire with the ground. It should form a square, not a rectangle.
You got me there! I can't picture what you are saying. Can you help me out?
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

If the tire is low in pressure then the surface of the tire in contact with the ground will be longer in length than width. Not profound but it is an easy way to check the small tail wheel.

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

Maule 9V
I recently purchased a bicycle pump that is perfect for the tailwheel. It is only about 10 inches long and has a flexiable hose and a dial pressure gauge. The best feature is a valve that selects "high Volume" or "high presure". In the "high pressure" mode it was very easy to put 50 psi into the tailwheel. "High volume" and patience can fill the mains.
More info on the pump please.

Thanks
Benflyn

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

The pump is by Serfas and is called MP 2N1.
Web info is at the following:

www.serfas.com/product_details.asp?ID=240

TomD
100+ Posts

Pump

Post by TomD »

Drop into the local bicycle shop and they will have more pumps than you can imagine.

As previously posted you probably want a dual pressure one. I like the hose option. Not many bike pumps have that.

A good light weight floor pump is also a good option. The longer stroke will let you fill the tire much faster. I have added air to my 8.50's w/ a floor pump. Not the most efficient thing in the world but it does work ok.

TD

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

CO2 cartridge works well too, they are what I use on my bike as they weigh a lot less than a pump. Pretty sure you can get them big enough for even Bushwheels at a paint gun store.
Just do NOT use your O2 bottle, O2 under pressure will make things explode if there is any oil or anything similar in there.
Oh and the CO2 cartridge will get Damn cold fast too. trust me on that. :oops: