Camera Mounting System - FlightFlix

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
krmpilot42

Camera Mounting System - FlightFlix

Post by krmpilot42 »

I bought a Flight Flix Rock Steady hardwire system, https://flightflix.net/rock-steady-camera-system-2/ , and will have it installed on the annual the end of March. I am now at the point of testing where and how to place the cameras and the hard wire points, obvious locations are the cockpit, a wing strut and under the tail. Any feedback on different locations and I do have the option of a 4th location if necessary. I am on a hanger wait list so the cameras need to be removed after flight for now.
Commercial, Instrument, CFI

Cash

Re: Camera Mounting System - FlightFlix

Post by Cash »

I had a GoPro with a filter that stops the prop mounted on left front wing strut looking forward of my previous M7. Have some great video retracing Lewis & Clark, Alaska trip, Bahamas and around Great Lakes and up St Lawrence. Lots of great memories from looking at those pictures. Good location to record what your seeing. Les
Flyrider

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I also have the FlightFlix Rock Steady mount including VibeX for my DJI Osmo Action Camera. I've tried different mounting locations outside the aircraft. The one that works the best for me is the right tie down ring. The left tie down ring is too close to the pitot tube and I don't want to affect the airspeed sensing. Getting the camera away from the engine and propeller reduces the small amount of video jitter caused by vibration and air turbulence. The DJI Osmo has image stabilization like the GoPro but there is still a little jitter with any mount closer to the engine and propeller on my MX-7-180.

For inside-the-cabin mounting, I use a RAM Tough Claw, short double arm and GoPro adapter ball clamped to the V-tube over the glare shield. There's no vibration in the video with this arrangement, which leads me to believe that most of the jitter in the video with an outside mount is due to air flow over the camera.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

krmpilot42

Post by krmpilot42 »

Great feed back, thanks. Anyone mount under the tail or on the tail ground handle?
Commercial, Instrument, CFI

Zoller

Post by Zoller »

Yes, I have a GoPro 8 mounted on the left tail handle and a MAX mounted on the right hand tie down ring
The „8“ is mounted with a „Smallrig“ Mini clamp
and the MAX uses a Smallrig 10“ magic arm. Both available on Amazon.
I’m using safety wire on both. Very sturdy and much less bulky than my beloved RAM mounts

I prefer the position on the left handle since I do not get problems with debris like on the tailfeathers.
No vibration issues so far.
I shot lots of raw footage already but only managed to get 1 video online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWOGadTHgDM

2cts worth
------------------------------------------------------
"...We're out of beer, Victor!!..."

rw2

Post by rw2 »

krmpilot42 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:53 pm
Great feed back, thanks. Anyone mount under the tail or on the tail ground handle?
I sometimes use gaffers tape to tape a gopro to the strut under the elevator. Not on gravel. Not on tall grass. Does add an interesting POV.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

I like to be able to see the prop so I mount one under the wing on the strut. I also mount one to the glass above the copilot seat to be able to see the controls.
As I've said before, I like to evaluate what I meant to do and what I did. Being able to see the prop lets me see throttle changes.

https://youtu.be/OSwGFh4v6JI
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/