Aspen Evolution

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
MnMauleFlyer

Aspen Evolution

Post by MnMauleFlyer »

I see that the Aspen Evolution units are now available as an option on the new Maules. I'd like to install one in my M5 but am having difficulty determining where the Remote Sense unit (RSM) can go. Does anyone with an M7 or later have an Aspen? Where is the RSM mounted?

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Re: Aspen Evolution

Post by Hale-Yes »

I have an Aspen PFD 1000 Pro in my MT 7-235. It was in the aircraft when I bought it. The analog converter unit is mounted behind the right kick panel (as the left side is a bit congested with fuel lines connected to the fuel valve). The remote sensor module (GPS antenna) is mounted to the top of the left wing root faring.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

DAT

Post by DAT »

I owned the MT 7 235 when the radio package was installed. I wanted something for pretty hard IFR so I did the Aspen with flight director, 430W, STec 60-2, GDL 69. Jerry Davis Caruthersville Avionics 573-333-4296 installed the whole package. I think I remember it being the same as Hale-Yes said ... in the right kick panel and antenna was on top of the left wing. Everything worked perfectly and made a nice cross country aircraft.
Maule M4 220C

MnMauleFlyer

Post by MnMauleFlyer »

Thanks very much, guys. Sorry I haven't checked back in a while. I *really* appreciate your responses as I need to decide shortly as the fabric recovering process is started. Any chance you could post a picture or two of the RSM mounting?

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

The antenna cable runs up the left side forward door post, The unit is mounted on the wing root faring, (approximately six inches rear of the the door post) it has a hole drilled in it for the antenna cable to pass through and there are 4 riv-nuts drilled into it, to bolt the antenna down. I have it disassembled at the moment for painting so pictures are not going to be much help, Sorry.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

MnMauleFlyer

Post by MnMauleFlyer »

Thank you, Hale-Yes! I'm forwarding this thread to my avionics guy... Much appreciated!!

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Here is a shot of the gps antenna install on my M5 at the left wing root. Measured from the trailing edge of the wing/forward edge of the flap well. You can see the wing root fairing by the tape measure. This was the factory install location for the loran antenna.

Second photo is right wing root where ELT antenna was installed prior to moving it to internal location. Same measure but clearer image of center which was located where the flush screw and washer are.

I believe there is a drawing on the Maule dvd detailing the reinforcement for antennas at these locations.

Kirk

MnMauleFlyer

Post by MnMauleFlyer »

Nice! Thanks a lot, Kirk.