Remote heater switch

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
DavZeeMXT

Remote heater switch

Post by DavZeeMXT »

Anyone have experience with these unit?

https://switcheon.com/

First year service included with purchase price and $50 yr after
Seems reasonable compared to a separate cell connection.
Thinking of asking Santa to put one under the tree.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Re: Remote heater switch

Post by Maule988ms »

Please let us know how it works. I have switchbox and wish i could get my money back. Works great when it works and the customer service is great but it is expensive and i would rather not have to deal with customer service

Otis

Post by Otis »

Just watched a webinar by the Tanis heater CEO. Tanis does not recommend switching their heaters on and off. If you leave them on, they will always keep the engine temps above the dew point. The average cost for an O-540 is $40/month in electricity.
I just purchased an M5-235 with 150hrs on the engine. The prebuy revealed significant corrosion. The engine is currently at the engine shop and the IRAN inspection will be north of $20,000. $40/month doesn’t sound to bad to me.

taildragger
100+ Posts

Post by taildragger »

I purchased the U-Phone-It switch from Aircraft Spruce. Been very happy with it. Cheapest phone plan is to renew it every 90 days for $10. Has two outlets. I can text it and turn on the engine heat and place a small ceramic heater in the cockpit and text it separately and turn that on later. You can also text it and turn them off if you change your mind. It also switches off after 12 hours automatically. I did have to add an outside antenna to the hanger for it.

Scott

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

At the risk of being a Debbie Downer, if you're going to use a remote heater on/off switch with no adult supervision, you should also get something that will alert you if a fire occurs. No piece of electronics is immune from failure. Here's one that WalMart sells: https://www.walmart.com/ip/GSM-3G-4G-Sm ... /302295436
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

PIREP
I found a better solution for turning items on and off in the hangar remotely, like an engine preheater: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6 ... UTF8&psc=1
I installed this today and it was easy. It works with a smart phone or tablet app no matter where you are as long as you have a wifi or cellular Internet connection. You can independently control each outlet and it's weather resistant. The price is good and it has high customer ratings. No subscription needed. I don't have wifi at my hangar so I got a Verizon wifi 8800L JetPack that gives me a wifi-to-cellular Internet connection for about $16/month. The 8800L can connect up to 10 wifi devices. I have a Lorex security camera connected to it for motion detection, video and sound monitoring.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Thats an very interesting thought Otis, I never really thought about it that way, I have a Tanis heater on my MT, thanks to a previous owner. I have never used it because I live in one of the hottest places on the planet, the last recorded snow fall here in Imperial Valley was in Feb of 1941, 1 1/2 inches! No, smart asses, I don't remember it! My Mom and Dad told me about it years ago, and I looked it up. But the idea of poping the oil filler cap and running the Tanis to vaperize off the water vapor in the crankcase had not occurred to me. That is a really good idea. And maybe placeing a wire screen cover over the filler tube to keep the mice out and tying a long red ribbon to it so that I dont forget to reinstall it. Oh, and my city owned hanger doesn't charge extra for the electricity :D :D :D
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.