Uavionix AV-30 C

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Uavionix AV-30 C

Post by Hale-Yes »

There are some really smart people on this forum who know volumes more than I ever will about instrumentation. To this group I pose a question. What is your opinion of the idea of using two Uavionix AC-30 C to replace the vacuum gauges (Attitude Indicator and Turn Coordinator)
Primary Attitude
Primary Slip
Primary Direction Indication
Probeless Angle Of Attack
Indicated Airspeed (KTS/MPH)
Altitude / Vertical Trend / Alerter
+8 / -8 G-Meter
OAT / TAS / Density Altitude
Bus Voltage
GPS Navigational Data Overlay
GPS HSI / 360 Rose / Arc Map Mode
Customizable Colors, Fonts, & Layout
Audio Alerts for (AoA, G, Roll Limits)
2 Hr Typical Internal Battery Operation Would this not allowing for the removal of the vacuum system? This seems like it might be a reasonably priced way forward. I was quoted $1,850. each, or $3,750. for two units. They are the same, but can be configured as either a Primary AI or a Primary directional gyro. According to the Uavionix website, they will offer an autopilot integration unit (shown in lower photo) and software for the AC-30 C in 2021 for a heading bug for legacy S Tec autopilots, no price is quoted. What do you think?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Re: Uavionix AV-30 C

Post by gbarrier »

What kind of box is required to interconnect to navigator and autopilot and what does it cost? Good looking units. Of course G5’s are tried and true.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Good looking units. Be interested in seeing the displays side by side with the Aspen.

I believe the Aspen E5 gives you all the same features, more display area for about $1,000 more. Plus autopilot integration is available now and the E5 is software upgradeable to the EFD PRO if you later want more features like traffic and moving map.

Every time I see something I like, there is another option “for just a few thousand more”. Trying to draw my line in the sand...

Kirk

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

The box to connect the AV-30 C an S tec auto pilot is shown in the lower photo, according to there website It will not be available until next year, I did not see a price listed. I already have an Aspen 1000 Pro but I would have to up grade to the Aspen 2000 system, plus buy a bunch of unlocks to get rid of the vacuum gauges/system and keep my auto pilot functioning. That's a lot more money than I want to spend at the moment. I am trying to decide if this might be a better way to go. Here is a rendering of my current panel, most of which was already installed when I bought the plane, with the exception of the EDM 930 and GTX 345 which I added.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

I've been watching the AV-30 for a while (since before it got acquired by uAvionix). And plan on putting one in at some point but not in a hurry.

It's a great looking screen. Lots of features. And easy to use interface. I think it also looks better then the G5 install. But I have not flown behind one so I'd be interested to hear what someone says about that.

I also want to wait for the autopilot integration. Hopefully they deliver on time.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

That’s a very nice panel as it is. Could you buy theACU for the Aspen and then an electronic standby horizon?

I’d like to ditch my vacuum system also but it does weigh less than 5 lbs so...

Kirk

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I'm not sure. I was told by the folks at Aspen that I would need the Aspen 2000 system (add a 1000 MFD with an external back up battery, a Magnetometer, and an unlock for the S Tec 60-2), to have the redundancy to legally remove the vacuum gauges and system. The AV-30 C looked like a possible alternative way to go.

Lmjr

Post by Lmjr »

I really like mine. I have no interest in driving an autopilot from the AV-30 but that would be a consideration for those that do.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Here's an excerpt from the UAvionix AV-30-C Installation Manual pp. 11-12:
The AV-30-C is approved for primary Attitude, Slip and Direction of Flight. All other functionality is supplemental in nature and may not satisfy regulatory requirements for required instrumentation.

5.1 Mechanical Instrument Replacement Approval is granted to replace legacy mechanical instrumentation as follows:
  • Installation of the AV-30-C (Dedicated AI mode) as the primary source for attitude and slip. Installation replaces the existing stand-alone vacuum or electrically powered attitude indicator.
  • Installation of the AV-30-C (Dedicated DG mode) as the primary source for direction-of-flight. Installation replaces the existing stand-alone vacuum or electrically powered non-slaved directional gyro indicator.
Note that when installed as a DG, a reversionary AI is available for display. This functionality is supplemental only and does not satisfy requirements for a backup or standby attitude, turn and slip, or turn coordinator.

5.2 Non-Required Instrument Addition Approval is granted to install the AV-30-C as a non-required instrument, augmenting existing required instrumentation. In this configuration, the AV-30-C must not replace an existing required instrument.

5.3 Vacuum System Removal The aircraft’s vacuum system typically may be removed under a field approval process (FAA form 337) if no other systems or equipment requires it. The AV-30-C installation approval does not address this alteration.

If you have a vacuum driven attitude indicator and directional gyro, then the AV-30-C could replace them both along with the slip indicator. However, you might not be able to replace the electric turn coordinator. Of course, the slip indicator is usually integrated into the electric turn coordinator so I read this caveat to mean that you can't replace the turn coordinator even if you don't have an autopilot.

You don't need the vacuum pump if you replace the vacuum driven instruments. Looks like it would be a good way to update your panel without going with two Garmin G5s. It's a nice display and a bit more familiar than the G5 PFD display, although I like the G5 HSI display. Each G5 has a 4-hour backup battery. The AV-30-C has a 2-hour backup battery.

Compatibility with a Garmin GPS such as the GNS 430W or GTN 650 is a concern. Section 8.2.5 of the installation manual describes the optional RS-232 GPS interface and section 14 describes the standard protocol functions that are available over the interface. For example, my G5 HSI displays not only the heading and compass card but also the distance to the next waypoint and ground speed, which are coming from the GTN 650. Although these standard functions are available over the RS-232 interface, there's no guarantee that Garmin has implemented them in a particular version of its software. AV-30-C owners with them connected to Garmin GPS units would have to weigh in here.

I've learned the hard way that when two different manufacturers are designing (or updating) avionics software, compatibility is not assured. If you have a Garmin GPS like the GNS 430W or GTN 650 (like I do), then you would be better off spending the extra money on the G5s to assure compatibility.

Another issue is that the AV-30-C is not approved for IFR according to section 8.2.5 of the installation manual, whereas the G5s are.

I noticed that section 5.3 in the AV-30-C installation manual quoted above describes the removal of the vacuum system as requiring a field approval using a 337. That doesn't necessarily mean that the FSDO has to come out to inspect the installation but it might, depending on the FSDO. Most of them are really backed up and short-staffed, especially with COVID these days. It might take a while to get approval. Some FSDOs just tell the A&P to send the 337 to Oklahoma City unless it's a unique installation. We have several A&Ps on the forum who can weigh in on this.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Andy, Thank You. That's great information. It does raise some red flags for my intended use. I do have a Garmin 430W but any possible Garmin GPS non compatibility with the AV 30 C is not as much of an issue as I pick that information up on the Aspen 1000 pro, but the Av-30 C's non IFR status is a concern, good catch! I was looking for a way to keep all of my current functionality, but enable the removal of the vacuum system with out spending too much $. The whole endeavor may not worth it if, if costs too much, or I lose functionality. I don't have the panel real estate available for two G 5's and even if I did, I'm still not sure if I could remove the vacuum gauges that interface with my auto pilot, so I'll keep looking. Thank you again, this the kind of insight that makes this forum great..

MnMauleFlyer

Post by MnMauleFlyer »

I'm in a similar situation looking to install an Aspen E5 unit to replace the AI and DG. My avionics shop says that Aspen is not recommending putting the Remote Sense Magnetometer (RSM) near the ferrous frame, meaning it has to go somewhere on the wing. However, I found one post from ca. 2015 where someone had mounted it ~2 feet behind the rear baggage wall with minimal problems. I'm wondering what others have found for a recommended RSM location - I would think that the detectors for the uAvionics and Garmin units operate on the same principle and would require similar separation from ferrous material. I'm thinking about putting the RSM on the wingtip. Thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.