Quiet Technologies Halo Headset Pirep

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Quiet Technologies Halo Headset Pirep

Post by DeltaRomeo »

On a recent long cross country my old ANR headset starts making a squealing noise in my right ear. Time for a new headset...

So I have been looking at the Quiet Technologies Halo Headset:

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index. ... path=66_59

Used it for the first time yesterday on an hour and a half flight (45 minutes each way).

Impressions: it is quieter than the two ANR headsets I currently had largely because the headset seal is disturbed by the necessary hat and shades. I'm used to wearing earplugs most days while operating loud machinery and equipment so the foam ear canal inserts are a non issue to me. The set comes with two sizes of foam inserts. For a long cross country the extra quiet will be very welcome. Since it is quieter, the communications on the radio is better and clearer. Inserting the foam ear plugs is a little fussy and would be an issue during a fly out where you'll have numerous short duration flights. Another thing I felt could be refined is the cable lead for the set is assembled in a way that it lays forward over the left ear and tangles with the mic somewhat. I think I can overcome this by folding the cable back over itself so that it falls behind my ear.

Overall it is very lightweight, does not interfere with hats and shades, audio is better, requires no batteries, and it is indeed more quiet in a cockpit such as the Maule.
M5

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I like my Halo headset, but it’s a problem on flyouts when people are starting up and taking off quickly. That said, I think that’s more a problem with the rushed pace of certain flyouts.

G280Driver

Halo Headset

Post by G280Driver »

I have flown a Halo head set and Clarity Aloft. I prefer the sound quality on the Clarity head set, other than that I really liked the Halo. I have used the Clarity for 11 years. One repair during that timeframe, that’s when I tried the Halo. They sound great, are lite and cool. Much easier to put on and remove glasses, hats, etc. I wear these for work so this headset has about 4000 hours on it. I could never go back to a regular headset. With time you will get much more proficient at putting in the ear pieces.

I do have a working Bose and a working David Clark ANR but I let pax use them in my personal airplanes.

Jim