Does the Powertow model 35 work for Maules?

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
Plarson622

Does the Powertow model 35 work for Maules?

Post by Plarson622 »

Having a hard time pushing my Maule backwards into my hangar by myself. (Slight incline into the hangar). Wondering if anyone can recommend a small tow. I found a used “Powertow 35 electricâ€￾ for sale, but can’t tell if it works with a Maule. Thanks!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I don't know but might tell us whether you have the Maule or Scott tailwheel?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I don't know but might tell us whether you have the Maule or Scott tailwheel?

Maule-igan

AERO TOW E200

Post by Maule-igan »

I use AERO TOW and love it. Mine is the E200 24V and it has a built in charger. Every 5 or 6 years I change the (2) 12v lawn tractor batteries.
Customer service was Awesome too.

http://www.aero-tow.com/
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

diebroke

Post by diebroke »

I use a PowerTow EZ 40 to move my M5 around. It is rated at 6,000 lbs. However it will not work with Maule tailwheel. I have the Alaska Bushwheel ABI 3224 (Scott 3200 replacement) and it works well. You will need the correct adapters.
1987 M5-235C

compassheading

Post by compassheading »

I use Power Tow EZ 40 on M-5-235 with scott tailwheel...love it. Yes must have tailwheel adapter rather than nose gear. I think the company is in Idaho a ordered the adapter, company was quick, responsive.

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

I use to use a winch set up in the back of the hangar in the mid line. Drive the
plane in front of the hangar, facing away and use a cable to the tail wheel spring. Hook it up and slowly pull it in. I bought the winch at harbor freight, 1500 pound capacity and it pulled the plane easily.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If all you're trying to do is pull the airplane up the ramp into the hangar, the electric winch setup is the least expensive. Harbor Freight has them for $155 at https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lbs1 ... 61672.html. Obviously, you need a solid anchor point to attach the winch in the back of the hangar.

If you need to move the aircraft on the ramp, then you'll need a portable tug like the EZ Tow or Power Tow. I like the electric ones more than the gas powered ones but either type works. I have a gas powered Taildragger Dragger which works okay but is a pain to wiggle under the tail wheel. You have to also pick up the tail with it. If you pull the airplane over grass or gravel, you need a tug that has the weight of the tail wheel to provide traction. In dry conditions, the ones that clamp to the tail wheel axle work great.
Andy
1986 MX7-180