FAA Approved ADS-B option with GARMIN GDL 82

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
CaseyM
100+ Posts

FAA Approved ADS-B option with GARMIN GDL 82

Post by CaseyM »

AOPA posted this article just before christmas.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... min-gdl-82
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

iLevel has their FAA approval for type certified:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... -to-market

and uAvionix is anticipating their approval early 2018:

https://www.uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/

It seems that NORSEE is allowing a lot of ADSB options at an affordable price point. My guess is it will continue to sweeten with time.
M5

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I think I remember reading some time ago that the 978 units will only meet the requirement in the U.S., which means that if you want to fly to (or through) Canada, this won't cover you for that. Anybody have more info on that? Hoping I'm wrong...

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

It’s true that 978 UAT is only authorized in the USA. If you need to fly outside the USA, 1090 ES is required. That’s one of the reasons why I went with the Stratus ESG. One of my bucket list items is to fly my Maule to Alaska.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

It is true that the 978 units will not work with the system in Canada and Mexico. But you will not be restricted from flying in Canada.

At this point Canada has no ADS-B mandate. Mexico has a 2020 mandate just like the USA.

I found this article helpful: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-an ... t-required

Kirk

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Kirk wrote:It is true that the 978 units will not work with the system in Canada and Mexico. But you will not be restricted from flying in Canada.

At this point Canada has no ADS-B mandate. Mexico has a 2020 mandate just like the USA.

I found this article helpful: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-an ... t-required

Kirk
Thanks Kirk. Reading that article, it seems to imply that it WILL be required for flight in Canada in the near future, but it's not 100% clear. The second sentence in the first paragraph caught my attention:

Outside the United States

At this time, only the United States is allowing the 978UAT datalink for ADS-B Out. If you plan to fly in ADS-B airspace outside of the United States, a 1090ES datalink—using a Mode S Extended Squitter transponder—will be required. Because the list of countries with ADS-B Out requirements and proposals is growing, we strongly recommend equipping with 1090ES if you plan to fly internationally. Remember that for countries without a mandate, there is no ADS-B Out requirement.

Countries with ADS-B Out mandates and proposals

Canada. Currently no mandate, but operators who voluntarily equip with 1090ES (particularly in the Hudson Bay and nearby oceanic airspace) can receive a higher level of service. Nav Canada is part of a joint air traffic surveillance venture, Aireon, installing ADS-B equipment on low-earth-orbit satellites. Nav Canada will be the launch customer when the service becomes available in 2018, and initially intends to incorporate 1090ES ADS-B into North Atlantic airspace.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Andy (and all),

I too will equip with dual 978/1090ES just to hedge against the chance I will end up somewhere other than the US. My transponder is dated anyway and really is the weak point of the avionics.

I was interested in the UAVIONICS nav/strobe but really should bite on a transponder too. Also started wondering if it would work with my M5 droop tips. I don't think the antenna will clear the tips below the nav light location?

Kirk

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

If Canada's speed to require 406MHz ELT for all aircraft is any indication, the ADSB 1090 requirement will be a ways out.

Vast areas of Canada would not require ADS-B in any case if the CAA has similar requirements as FAA.

TD

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I'm mostly concerned about the requirements that either or both will put in place to cross the border. I commute to Alaska and back each year, so the ability to cross those borders is important.