Garmin G5s as complete replacement solution

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

I’ve been following the D10 and D100 for a while. They seem fairly restrictive in what you can do with them. Hope they come around on the Skyview.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Ok, so I would love some clarification on instruments. If you go through the REL and the OEL, you can determine what is required in the plane and what is optional. So I assume a primary instrument is required for any REL instrument, but is a certified instrument required for OEL instruments. Basically what I am asking is if a G5 used as a primary attitude can also replace the turn slip indicator since it displays the two at the same time.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

No, per the STC.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

gbarrier wrote:No, per the STC.
Even though a turn slip indicator is not required equipment. Can I not remove the turn slip indicator regardless of installing a G5?

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Mog wrote:
gbarrier wrote:No, per the STC.
Even though a turn slip indicator is not required equipment. Can I not remove the turn slip indicator regardless of installing a G5?
If the slip indicator is not listed on the original equipment list for that airplane then you should be able to remove it I think?

BTW. The skyview STC would replace the slip indicator. And pretty much everything else. So when the STC is later updated to include Maules that would be a option. Also replaces engine instruments.

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Hi All

A turn and slip instrument failure has provided an opportunity.

The Garmin G5 is EASA STC'd as a replacement for the T & S, so that is all the excuse I need to get one fitted.

Gary B, may I be so bold as to ask if you can post a photo of your dual G5 panel install. I would certainly appreciate the chance to see what you have done.

If you rather not 'go public' could you send me a pm with attached photo?
M6-235

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Would love to show off just not set up to post right now. Give me (or pm me) your email address and I’ll send some by this evening.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I ordered a new Garmin GTN 650 GPS/NAV/COM to replace a failed and repairable Apollo GX60. The avionics shop said that the FAA requires an external CDI for the GPS so I told them to quote me a Garmin GI 106B to replace the existing Mid-Continent CDI. I've used the GI 106B in our aircraft at work and it's a good unit.

Captnkirk asked me why I didn't replace my vacuum driven DG (which is drifting a lot) with a Garmin G5 HSI and use it as the external CDI for the GTN 650. He's obviously a lot smarter than me. I checked with my avionics shop and they said that they had already purchased and received my GTN 650 and GI 106B and that they can't change it to a G5 at this point.

Eventually, I'm going to do what Gary did and replace the vacuum driven AI and DG with Garmin G5 units and get rid of the vacuum pump completely. Since I missed an opportunity to take a half step in that direction, I wanted to give other Maule owners a heads-up in case they're thinking about something similar. Now I'm going to have to either get my vacuum DG overhauled or spend another $5K replacing it with a G5 HSI. I could have saved about $2K by using a G5 HSI as the primary CDI, not to mention eliminating gyro precession and missing out on the features of a complete electronic HSI.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Bummer. Too bad you can’t find a buyer for the indicator. Am doing just that on a Seneca install right now. It had an awful nice NSD360 HSI which had started drifting and the owner chose the G5 over overhaul. Attitude gyro was a recent overhaul so he kept it for now.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Gary looks like I’m headed down that rabbit hole too where did you put that magnetometer? left wing tip I think I read some where. A couple of things going on so it looks to be more cost effective than repairing old stuff.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

inboard side of outermost rib left wing. Had no problem passing interference test even with the old nav lights and strobes even though power supply is mounted in the tip. Used two conductor shielded wire for the network and another pair for the power and ground. Cleaned up landing light ground just to be sure.

SlowFlyer

Post by SlowFlyer »

I have the two G5 combo, HSI talking to the autopilot STEC 50 (not perfect match). Really good units but I kept the ASI, Altimeter, VSI, Turn coordinator and to be honest my eyes gravitate towards the analog instruments since they give a better visual cue as to what is going on.
I find that if you your tape deck in the G5 you have to actually look and read the screen.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Good way to do it. By just replacing the AH and DG you eliminate the more expensive to maintain vac system and let your brain go analog or digitize at will. Remember to include the two G5s in your altimeter check when you do your IFR certs. Some folks (like us) charge by the altimeter so it gets a little more pricey but it keeps your nose clean. Recently did Certs on a Navajo with a pair of Aspens and a Sandai stand alone unit not to mention the old school one on the copilots side. Five altimeters when you count the readout from the encoder.

Was wondering how the G5s mated with the S Tec. Have a customer with a pair mated to a Century II and said it was great. The old analog Centurys would appear to be less than a match as you have to put transformers in the wiring to the autopilots but he says they track great.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Thanks Gary I upgrade strobes and landing lights to LED last year so I think I should be ok . The vacuum system is coming out and my AI was going to cost to much to over haul and I was adding a 430 so it just made sense. When it gets done I’ll come by and we can do a show and tell.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Makes sense to do at the same time as there are about8 wires to pull from the back of the 430. Man hate that 82 pin connector on the back of the 430.