another adsb

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
captnkirk
100+ Posts

another adsb

Post by captnkirk »

I'm sure some have already seen this but I thought I would post it just incase some haven't. I'm looking for an adsb answer like most of us so when something new comes up I like to review it. Here is a link
http://www.equipit2020.com/
Anyway one more option.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I saw that. Nice to see a semi-low priced solution to the govenment's problem.

I may bite, but I don't live close to any Mode C veils so I may choose to not equip, although I don't like giving up options and versatility (or freedoms for that matter).

Thanks for sharing the link. :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Living under the veil like Capt I have no choice but would probably equip anyway. Just don't like the restrictions.

My transponders are old and I know their time is limited so guess I should bite the bullet and buy a solution that includes a new transponder. Nice to know that there are less expensive options becoming available now. Guess it's like when the 406 transponders first came out.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I don't think the FreeFlight RANGR 978 Lite in Kirk's link replaces the existing transponder like the L3 NGT-9000 Lynx does. The RANGR 978 can "interface" with the existing transponder according to their literature. I don't know if that is a wired interface or radio frequency (RF) interface. The idea is that you only have to set the transponder squawk code on one device - the old transponder - and the 978 UAT automatically detects the code being squawked and matches it. ATC doesn't want an aircraft squawking two different codes over Mode C/S and ADS-B since it will set off all their proximity alarms. Garmin solves this problem through the RF method with the GDL-88. L3 solves it by completely replacing the old transponder. I don't have enough panel space to install the FreeFlight RANGR 978 control head so I'm probably going to replace my Bending King KT 76A transponder with the L3 NGT-9000. They make it the same size to eliminate the need to move stuff around in your panel.

Any of these systems is going to run about $1,500 for installation assuming no panel reorganization is necessary. They have two separate GPS and ADS-B antennas that are installed on the top (GPS) and bottom (ADS-B) of the aircraft. The NGT-9000 uses the existing transponder antenna as well.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

andy, which model 9000 will you go with? i also see on their site a starting price of 8000 dollars Plus.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Guess I could plug and play the King KT74 on the Maule and get out but that's spending money and not getting anything (in) for myself. The Champ where I would prefer a less expensive upgrade has an old Narco so no plug and play there.

With the Nasty Guard doing low level around here all the time in their C130s a display may be of some advantage.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Gary I have a vr route over the house we wave at each other some times. so I want a display also, it worries the wife and she says she still needs my paycheck so no midair's.
I'm still working on a decision ,I'm hoping they will have everyone at sun n fun so I can do an apples and oranges comparison. More than likely I'll just come back more confused. Then there is the matter of finding a shop locally I don't want to have to go to far for the install or over pay. Good work is worth every penny and I don't mind that.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I'm in a MOA, we used to be swarmed with A-10's constantly but since they got moved out of England AFB it's not too bad. For some reason the gunnery range about six miles north of me is still in operation, sometimes the A-10's come in from Pensacola but now we get the fast movers also.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

cs409, I would go with the basic NGT-9000. ADS-B-In traffic is somewhat useful but you don't get the whole picture. The FAA retransmits traffic in your service volume over ADS-B-TIS but I've been in situations where a Mode S transponder doesn't pick up a retransmitted mode C aircraft right next to it. I don't need the optional wi-fi capability. I already have it with the iPad/Stratus 2/ForeFlight arrangement. The MSRP of $8,251 is disappointing but I'd really like to replace my KT 76A transponder and not reorganize my panel. I would also like both the 1090ES and 978UAT capability. 978 UAT is only good in the USA below 18,000MSL. If I fly in Canada to Alaska, I'll need 1090ES.

The problem of a having a display to control the ADS-B-Out transmitter is a difficult one. My older Apollo GX60 GPS/COMM won't function as a display with any of the new ADS-B equipment. If you have a Garmin GNS 430 or 530, you can use it to control most of the ADS-B-Out equipment on the market theoretically. In practice I've found that Garmin's firmware in the 430/530 doesn't work with all units or is very limited. You also need to have the latest version of the firmware, which isn't very easy to acquire without paying an avionics shop to load it.

In Western North Carolina the best avionics shop that I've found is Landmark Aviation at KINT in Winston-Salem. They're somewhat more expensive but they do a first-class job and they're a manufacturer's authorized dealer for Garmin, L3, FreetFlight and several others.
Andy
1986 MX7-180