The deal is done

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
captnkirk
100+ Posts

The deal is done

Post by captnkirk »

Ok just got word the paper is complete. I am now the owner of a 1977 M5-235. I have a problem with closings have had a couple blow up in the past so I don't like to talk to much. Any way 1730 total time with 150 SMOH GARMIN 250 king 155 nav com Narco transponder new gear new exhaust (Tim's). The only issue is the paint which is something I can work on.[/img]
Image[/URL
[URL=http://s63.photobucket.com/user/captnkirk54/media/712sm_zpsefdcc8bb.jpg.html]Image

I still have to pick it up hopefully this week after my trip. I have a few things i'd like to get done soon. I believe in engine analyzers so that is on the list and some 8.50's to replace the standard size tires. Anyway I'm looking forward to new adventures.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

PNGpilot

Post by PNGpilot »

Beautiful bird! Doesn't everyone have a few things planned for a new a/c? haha
Non the less, enjoy 'er.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Congrats.

Nice bird. Where did you find that one?

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Congrats, I hope she gives you many hours of hassle free pleasure.
Once you get the hang of her especially crosswind landings you will be astounded at what this bird can do

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Beautiful bird. Congratulations. I wish you thousands of safe hours in the sky.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Congrats! Where are the controls for fuel transfer? I see the gauges for the aux fuel tanks but no transfer switches?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Congratz on the bird! I found the switches, left side behind the yoke lower instrument panel.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Congratulations, captnkirk! I'll fly over and take a look after you pick it up.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Congrats on a great new plane! Looking forward to some flight reports on her!
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

yay for Kirk, that one looks very similar to mine, just a few years older and a few less hours.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Congratulations.

RobHill

Post by RobHill »

Congrats. Looks nice. I'm envious.
Ex Commercial Pilot and CFIAI

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Kirk,
Congrats! Funny, after your deal with the gear you went newer, A/C wise and after me parking mine in the trees inverted I ended up going older. I bought a 1976 M-5-235 from Oshkosh and flew it back out to Seattle on straight floats at the end of August. Yours looks like a good looking flyer, here's to many safe landings for the both of us! Take care.

James

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Was looking at your instrument panel. Radio stack looks just about right for the way lots of us fly. An engine monitor might be nice if it has some tapes. I find the digital stuff a PITA for leaning, etc. I can read digital EGT and CHT on all six cylinders but even without switching around it still takes a little time to lean properly. Spent thousand of hours in Navajos with one analog EGT and CHT. It was easy to lean quickly and we always made our approved extended TBO without pulling cylinders on 540s that made 310 and 350 hp.

Things that drives me crazy is the way people move things around from standard config. I would (like everyone else I have an opinion) move that VOR head right, the Altimeter up. the VSI left, the MP left and the tach left. Also, drawing 6072F shows that when you replace the "lawn mower throttle " type mixture control with the later vernier one that throttle, prop, and mixture move one hole left. It was mentioned on a thread here some months back that it was required for certification because of longer control getting into right yoke (yea, we all know that you will not be pushing yoke all the way in with the mix all the way out but you know the feds). Move requires a backing plate (6061B) and some angle bushings.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Hard to see in the photo but the engine controls where chagedwith the overhaul :D . I had a jpi in the last one and liked it but I've been looking at the GEM units like the extra features. I like the ability to record the data and study the trends with an oil analyses should help keep the noise maker healthy. The prior owner has been doing the oil since the overhaul and looks good so far. I'll move the panel around to end up with a standard six pack should be no problem. Gbarrier send me the coordinates for your place again o can't find the tread with them we'll get together.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money