iPad/iPhone/ForeFlight questions

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I also run the iPad Mini on a yoke RAM mount. Fits great and very readable. I pitched for the Stratus 2 and am glad I did. The inflight weather is a great tool if you fly IFR. Traffic is not that great if you don't have ADSB out installed, so until that day it is more a novelty than anything else.

I looked hard at ForeFlight, WingX and the AOPA iEFB (think that's what they call it). I chose ForeFlight as the best choice for me for IFR. Also, downloaded the Stratus Horizon app onto my iPhone to use as a standby AH haven't flown that combo yet and not sure where it will mount. I don't find the display on the mini big enough to run split screen AH/Map.

I think if I were mainly VFR or flying the Rockies I would go with WingX. I like the terrain and attitude features of WingX better and it plays with far more GPS/ADSB receivers. With ForeFlight, your ONLY option for ADSB is the Stratus. It will use other GPS for better positioning.

For the Stratus, I use the RAM suction cup mount on the passenger side window of the rear door. I put it low in the window and as far forward as it will go. Makes for an easy reach to turn on, peek at the indicators to check operation etc.

I also recommend the New Trent, backup power. Has 2 USB ports and enough juice to fully recharge a full size iPad and phone.

Kirk

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Thanks guys.

I think I'm leaning towards a full size iPad as it will be my only home 'computer' and I'll use it for reading, studying, test taking, medical records, patient care etc, in addition to flying.

So the consensus seems to be iPhone AND iPad with ForeFlight without an add on GPS as long as the iPad is cellular.

Any advantages to the other non-Apple brands of iPads?
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

The last two we bought was without cellular. As best I remember we saved about enough to buy the stand alone GPS. (non wifi is non GPS) Never got the onboard GPS (in the wifi unit) to work much above 7,000 ft and was always spotty. Others may have different results.

Non Apple is tablet, not ipad and runs Android. Does Foreflight now have an Android app also?

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

No Fore flight for Android and their press interviews indicate no plans to include one.

As far as an extra GPS, try it without one if you like. What I saw was that it needed one. I think the Bad Elf is a great unit, inexpensive and can hang on a cord around your neck it's so small. Has a cool name too!

Kirk

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I've been using an iPad 3 with cellular modem and ForeFlight for a couple of years. I really like it but I fly in the mountains a lot and cellular service is often absent. I have a Garmin 396 with XM satellite weather that I often use when that happens. I'm thinking about getting a Stratus 2 ADS-B receiver since it works very well with ForeFlight and would allow me to cancel my XM weather subscription and stop relying on the 396. Doing that would pay for the Stratus in 18 months since no subscription is required. My only concern is that ADS-B weather is transmitted from ground stations, not satellites. Line-of-sight with the ground stations means that I might have to be 2000 - 3000 AGL to pick them up in the mountains, but I figure that between cellular and ADS-B coverage, there will probably be few places where I can't get in-flight weather.

Does anyone have the iPad/ForeFlight/Stratus 2 setup? What do you think of it in the mountains?

Regarding the iPad vs. the iPad mini, I think the mini would be easier to use because it can be mounted in more locations without blocking parts of the panel. Going to a smaller display means that approach plates will be harder to read, though. I think the mini's screen is polarized like the iPad 3 Retina display. That means that I would have to use it only in landscape orientation because of my polarized sunglasses. It's amazing how effective the polarization is. The iPad's display is almost completely dark when I use it in portrait orientation because the polarization in my sunglasses is 90 degrees from the polarization of the iPad screen. One of the downsides to this is that when you rotate the iPad 3 to landscape orientation, the approach plate shrinks to fit into the available display height making the approach plate even smaller. That would be too small on a mini. It would be necessary to zoom in and pan around to view all parts of the approach plate. I guess the solution is to get unpolarized sunglasses. Has anyone experienced this?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Hi Andy,

I'm over the hills from you on the TN side (KGCY) and using the setup you are asking about; iPad Mini with ATT cellular, ForeFlight & Stratus 2. Between the cell coverage and ADS B I really don't ever lose coverage. On our tour out west in about 35 hours of flying I bet I didn't lose coverage for more than a total of 30 minutes for the whole trip.

I suppose you might briefly lose it if you are low in the valleys but not for long, you'd probably have to be so low that you wouldn't want to be heads down anyway. I really like having cellular and Wifii for planning at fuel stops etc. With ATT I didn't have coverage on the ground at one fuel stop in Georgia and no wifii. That sucked since I was heading back to TN and was watching weather ahead. Had to use a payphone! Just like the old days.

Without cellular data, you might need to be at 3,000 agl or so. We have ADSB transmitters in TRI, AVL, CLT, CAE, TYS. Here's a link to a current coverage map:

http://sportysnetwork.com/ipad/wp-conte ... -final.png

Hope that helps.

Kirk

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Thanks, Kirk. I think I'll buy the Stratus 2 shortly. There's a suction cup mount that you can get to mount it vertically on the pilot or copilot window so its antenna gets a better view of the ground station antennas than sitting on the glare shield. That sounds like a good investment to me. Do you have that?

One of these days you and I and captnkirk will have to get together. We're not far from one another.

I saw a red and white Maule with spring aluminum gear and a two-blade prop parking in our open hangar at Shiflet Field (9A9). Does that belong to someone on the forum? I'll check the N number next time I'm out there.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy Kirk Gbarrier we may have to do a little fly-in soon we're all pretty close
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Looks like your place might be in the middle if that suits you. When does the new bird come home?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

That would be fine by me. Still getting insurance quotes once that is finalized should be good to go-- maybe next week I hope.
Kirk Johnson

PNGpilot

Post by PNGpilot »

Walmart has great (cheep) mounts that can be suction cup against the window. I would see if there are any there first. And for VFR the best thing is a iPhone. The only need for larger screens is for the IFR approach plates. Finger zoom allows for everything the VFR guys need
Tailwinds!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

AOPA's insurance brokerage department did the best job for me last year. It was about $1k but I only have $1m liability and & 50k hull. Most Maules are worth ,ore than that.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I've gone with avemco . Got a couple of not interested quotes because of the claim I had. I've been with them before a little more money but sometimes you get what you pay for
Kirk Johnson

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Hey Guys,

I did pitch for the RAM suction mount and it goes on the passenger side. Forward and low on the window of the rear door worked best for me.

I'd sure keep an eye on local suppliers for a suction mount. Could be cheaper than the RAM, but hey it is aviation. Might save enough for about 3 quarts of 100LL.

There are a lot of us nearby now. We'll have to set up a get together somewhere interesting. My work schedule has been horrifying. Haven't had free time in 2 months.

Probably get freed up about when the weather turns sour.

Kirk

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Sounds good to me we'll have to work on timing with the work schedules. Maybe a nice wife friendly destination we all know when mama is happy everyone is happy. :)
Kirk Johnson