Hero camera mounting position & experience

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
Christine
Site Admin

Hero camera mounting position & experience

Post by Christine »

I am finally ordering my new Hero 3+ and would like to start a discussion/exchange of best mounting positions on the Maule as well as which mounts to use.
The ones of you who are using Heros please share your Don't and Do's here as well as your experience regarding the best mounting position.
Has anyone used the propeller filter?
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Although I have a Drift 170 Stealth and not a GoPro Hero +3, I've done a lot of research on the GoPro and mounting methods for the Drift, Christine.

Where you put the mount depends on whether or not you want part of the airplane in the picture. I prefer the left wing tie down ring. I can adjust the camera mount to either include part of the nose or not from there. It's also far away from the sources of vibration that make the videos undulate like jello (engine and propeller). For a while, I mounted the Drift on the ABW HD gear leg since it is quick and easy, but I didn't like the amount of tire, cowling and propeller that shows up in the 170 degree field of view. When the camera is mounted low, it is also much more susceptible to rocks, bugs, dirt and splashes on the lens.

I put a picture of the RAM mount that I use on the forum at http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... mera+mount

The GoPro can use most of the same mount with its camera mount adapter. I use medium thread locker on the 1/4-20 NPT camera mount stud to keep it from working loose. I mount the camera on the left wing so I can see whether or not it's recording by watching the red LED. When the battery in the remote is low, the camera doesn't always start recording when you press the button on the remote.

The propeller filter is nothing more than a neutral density filter that knocks the light level down so much that the shutter speed slows down and doesn't catch the fast rotation of the propeller as much. Works great with bright light but not so good with low light level. Videos get grainy in this situation.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Great, thanks Andy... I created a new section called Gizmo's and moved this and your other thread into this section.
Christine
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I've also seen some cool camera adapters that use a modified inspection plate to support the camera. I'm still shooting with a suction cup mount from inside the plane.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

http://wingitmounts.com/index.html. here is one I had ordered have not gotten a chance to use it though. I liked the fact is was easy to move around.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

I like that. It doesn't say whether or not it will fit the Maule. It lists off a bunch of Cessna models and Glasair on the website but didn't see Maule. Not sure how much difference in shape there is in the strut between the Cessna and Maule. Let us know if it fits!
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

st8cop166 wrote:I like that. It doesn't say whether or not it will fit the Maule. It lists off a bunch of Cessna models and Glasair on the website but didn't see Maule. Not sure how much difference in shape there is in the strut between the Cessna and Maule. Let us know if it fits!
From the Products page - "WingItMounts™ is looking for our next camera mount. If the mount does not fit your airplane please let us know. We would like YOUR input, please fill out our Customer Survey."
Sounds like if enough Maulers do the survey they may work-up a design.

The link that Kirk provided works once the "period" (or Full Stop) is removed.

TomD
100+ Posts

Wing Mounts

Post by TomD »

http://wingitmounts.com/index.html. here is one I had ordered have not gotten a chance to use it though. I liked the fact is was easy to move around.

"Unfortunately our current mount does not fit on the Maule aircraft, it also is limited to the GoPro camera as it uses the stock GoPro clips for mounting.

Justin Bentsen"

Not usable for anything other than GoPro and does not fit Maules.

TD

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

From that statement is does not appear they are aware of our importance within the market place. Guess I'll continue to use my homemade camera mounting device costing $1.99 instead of their high dollar contraption costing $119.95. Besides that . . .mine has character and blends with the bailing wire and duct tape. :D
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Where are you getting baleing wire? I've been reduced to baleing twine as we ran out of wire and all balers use twine now!
Let Freedom Prevail

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

I guess nobody is repairing angthing with netwrap
RT

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Alfalfa bales come wrapped with wire. If you want to buy the alfalfa I will send the wire to you.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

duct tape boys that's the future duct tape
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Don't think I can afford the alfalfa....but how much for the wire? I like duck tape, but can't abide killing all those waterfowl just to make tape!?
Let Freedom Prevail

CPS M5

Post by CPS M5 »

Gorilla tape, stronger but only comes in black.