Import Maule from Canada

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
branman

Import Maule from Canada

Post by branman »

I just put a down payment on a M5 that is currently in Canada. I live in Indiana USA. Has anyone dealt with importing an airplane from Canada. I already know that I have to have a Canadian pilot fly it down and when he returns he needs to de-register. More curious if people recommend finding an agency to take care of the paperwork or is it easy enough that someone can just do it all on their own with the help of a local mechanic.

montana maule
100+ Posts

Re: Import Maule from Canada

Post by montana maule »

Have the Canadian pilot go through customs and fly it to your mechanic. The mechanic does an annual making sure it complies with the TCDS and all ADs. Have him contact the local FSDO to issue an airworthiness certificate. Register the airplane.

branman

Post by branman »

Thanks that just seems too easy :lol: I guess I assumed since it had to do with the FAA there had to be something more to it.

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Biggest thing is to delist in Canada and have a good chain of ownership to prove title. Then apply for an N number. The registration office in Kansas City seems to be helpful.

branman

Post by branman »

Thanks, it's only had 2 owners and I have both their numbers. We put in the purchase agreement that the plane needs to be deregistered from Canada once it is delivered to Indiana. Now that I sort of know how to import the plane, the hard part is finding a pilot that will fly it across the border with all the COVID restrictions.

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Branman, Congrats on the purchase of your M5!
This forum is very helpful in keeping that M5 in fine shape. May I ask what the Canadian registration is on this aircraft? ....you can PM me if you wish. I know a few up here. We have had our M5 in the family since it was new in 1976. It has never let us down....except for one flat tire😎

Contact me anytime for any help, or if you need a dude with a Canadian licence to fly it south....or anywhere warm😁.

Carl
1976 M5-235C