New to Maules, a few basic questions

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
clanum

New to Maules, a few basic questions

Post by clanum »

I'm a 900ish hour pilot, but up until now, always in clubs/partnerships. I'm now in a position where the broad availability of having my own plane could make sense (it will never make financial sense, but at least psychological sense), and I came across a 1999 MT7-235 that looks like it's a good fit for my mission. A couple of basic questions from the group here:

I do want something that will fit the whole family, and looking at the weight and balance, we can get me with my wife and our two young kids in with fuel in the mains only and be just under gross max weight, but the kids won't be young forever. I saw this: "Maule will receive a retroactive STC to bump the gross weight to 2800 pounds—the same as the M-7’s beefed-up big brother, the M-9.", but that is referring to the 2015 model, not sure it'd go all the way back to 1999, but the extra 300 pounds would make a difference for me.

Also, I don't even have a seaplane rating yet, but it is my long term ambition to fly on floats eventually. Can the tricycle gear be swapped out for floats just as the conventional gear version?

3rd, the plane I'm looking at is IFR, but it only has VORs - just so that I'm prepared for the sticker shock, if I did want to add something like a Garmin GNS430W so that I can fly real approaches, what sort of ballpark in cost am I looking at? Also should I want to add an autopilot down the road is that even possible?

Finally, if there's anybody in New England (I'm in central Mass near Worcester) who can offer a ride in a Maule before I commit to anything, I'd gladly pay for the time.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Re: New to Maules, a few basic questions

Post by Hale-Yes »

I have an MT 7 235. I'm not qualified to answer all of your questions, but I can answer a few. Yes, you can put floats on the MT. There are hard mounting points that must be on the fuselage from the factory or welded to it before you can. This is also true of all the other Maules. I can't comment on the cost of adding a GNS430W, although I have one, It was in the aircraft when I bought it. Used ones are bringing about 6K for the W's, the non W are bringing about 3K, Several Autopilots are STCed for the MT, the S-tec 30, 40, and the 55X, I belieave. Many are hoping that Garmin will come up with an STC for there 500, But you shouldn't hold your breath. I would advise you to call Maule and talk to Brent about the upgross questions. For that kind of Question, you should go to the source.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Hale-Yes can better address the floats on a MT but I had to have rear attach points welded on my 1986 MX-7-180 when Maule Flight rebuilt my airplane in 2010. There's a tubing brace that has to be installed and a ventral fin. I think they also recommend dual tail struts. A GNS 430W costs around $12,000 installed. I don't know about the up-gross kit for that model year. Maule's online modification index doesn't show it https://fdb41ebf-dcb9-418b-8328-810edcf ... ee1cb2.pdf so you'd better talk to Brent.

You will need ADS-B Out if you ever fly in rule airspace (Class B, Class B mode C veil, Class C).
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Forgot to mention that if you're going to put floats on, you need to think about lift rings on top of the wing roots. There are other ways to raise the airplane but lift rings are easiest. You have to raise both sides at the same time so techniques that work for changing wheels one at a time don't work. There are Maule owners on the forum who regularly change from wheels to floats and they can give you advice on this.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

clanum

Post by clanum »

Thanks for the advice!