Insurance suggestion?

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Flyingmike

Insurance suggestion?

Post by Flyingmike »

I’m hoping to buy a mid-80’s M-6-235 and I’m being quoted almost $2900/year by BWI.

14k+ hours of accident/incident free flying, close to 200 tailwheel time in a variety of planes from a 1946 J-3 to an Extra 300....no Maule time. Loads of Alaska time...

Please tell me this isn’t normal? That’s an absurd amount of money for insurance! Can I expect or anticipate this to go up or down in the coming years?

Absolute robbery for someone with a clean record working as a professional pilot!

andy
Site Admin

Re: Insurance suggestion?

Post by andy »

This is a particularly bad year for soaring insurance rates due to insurance company losses. If you are over 70 it's worse. Most insurers are looking for at least 100 hours time in type with no claims before they will give you a lower premium. I saw a significant drop in premiums at 500 and 1000 hours time in type with AIG. Tailwheel Maules are in their own risk pool due to a relatively high claim rate. Probably due to low time pilots doing things that the airplane is capable of but not the pilot. Hull value is the biggest driver of insurance premium. If you can afford to reduce the hull value, you'll reduce the premium. Hopefully the premium will go down when you cross the 500 hours time in type threshold, so fly your Maule a lot. Here's an AOPA article on why premiums have soared recently: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... 00-percent
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Flyingmike

Post by Flyingmike »

Thanks Andy.

No Maule time, but I’ve got tailwheel time in a variety of planes from an Extra 300 (my first tailwheel, no joke) to Super Cubs to a ‘46 J-3.....

I’ve got the hull value set at $79000, so not an absurd amount, but I can’t wrap my head around that quote with 14k+ hours of flying in everything from a hot air balloon to a 747.

I’m shaking my head wondering WTF did I get myself into!

And I’m only 44, so age isn’t the issue I’m facing either.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

There are several good threads on this forum that deal with Maule insurance. Here's one of them:
http://www.maulepilots.org/Hangartalk/v ... =insurance

Do a search on "insurance" and you'll find some other good information.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

That’s slightly higher than my premium but not by much and I’m sure mine will go up again after all the claims this year. 80k hull value, 13000 total, 500 tailwheel in many types and almost 200 in Maules. Welcome to the club.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

For comparison:

My airplane:
1986 M-6-235

Me:
ATP, working commercial (135) pilot
6,000 hrs total time
4,000 hrs tailwheel
1,000 hrs Maule

Insurance:
U.S. Specialty Insurance company
Broker: Ladd Gardner Agency (in Texas)
Hull value: $75,000
Premium: $2,300/year with commercial coverage; about $1,300/year if I didn’t have the commercial coverage on it.
Airplane is based in Colorado, but spends half the year in Alaska, with full knowledge of insurance company.
Insurance covers intentional off-field operations and operations in Canada (Mexico too, I think).