Just starting out

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Cosmo457

Just starting out

Post by Cosmo457 »

I’m looking at getting into GA and tailwheel flying specifically. Based on what I want my plane to do, I’m starting to focus in on a Maule.
I started flying in 1992 in the navy. In addition to 22 years of military flying, I’ve been flying a 737 with the airlines for the past 15. I have my tailwheel endorsement, which I got in a Super Decathlon, but no other tailwheel experience.
I definitely want some Maule-specific instruction and I’m trying to figure out if that is best done before or after buying my own plane. Any current suggestions on instructors?
I live in Colorado west of Denver. I eventually want to get into back country flying, but I’m also interested in being able to take my family around the country, airport-to-airport (wife, 2 boys ~750# including me). Based on what I’ve read, I’m thinking the 180 might not be enough engine. Any recommendations between 235 & 260? I’m thinking M7. M9 might be great, but not seeing too many of those.
More questions to follow I’m sure, but thanks in advance for any advice to get me started. -Cosmo
Cosmo

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Though the constant speed prop/180hp usually has a bit more useful load than the 235 or 260, I would suggest a 235hp if in the altitudes of Colorado a lot. The 260 is another 12lbs heavier than 235hp, so less useful load.
Four people plus fuel and gear is going to have you at gross weight most of the time. The wide aluminum 'C' gear is 55lbs heavier than the oleo gear and three blades are heavier than two.
Older M5 and M6 and MX7-235s are generally a bit lighter than the M7s though the M7 has a bit larger rear cabin.
Insurance is the main hurdle (expensive)especially if you have no Maule time or minimal taildragger time.
You could book time with Rick Geiger in MT montanabyair.com and he could demonstrate the difference of 160hp and 235hp at the Cutbank altitude as he has both.
Patrick Romano instructs when he has time from the Denver area and there are others.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

I use to own a Maule M7 235 C. I flew it all over NH, VT and ME in and around the mountains. I am a large man 260lbs and often flew the plane fully loaded with people or gear. The 235 lycoming and 2 blade prop performs very well and gets off the ground quickly. The extra room in the back, especially the increased cabin height allows for large objects like bicycles. I would recommend that plane for your described purpose. Any Maule will have lower performance at High Density Altitude so you need to be very aware of that.

LCDRLES

Post by LCDRLES »

As an old Navy guy myself, who didn’t fly single engine piston, and especially tailwheel for many years, I second getting Rick Geiger to check you out.
The first Maule I had kicked my butt for about 5 hours, then it clicked. They aren’t difficult, just different in my opinion. Certainly different from a Decathlon. I fly C180’s, Citabria/Scouts, and Maules on a regular basis, and the Maules just fly different.
Get a good Maule guy to get you going and never look back.
These are the best all around backcountry travelers there are, especially with the big Lycoming.
1984 M5 180C, N5654B
1956 Cessna 180, N4971A
1977 7GCAA, N1165E

Cosmo457

Thanks

Post by Cosmo457 »

Thanks to all for the replies! I’ll give Rick a call and go from there.
Cosmo

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Besides the things that others have said, there's a big price difference between good condition 180 hp Maules and 235 hp Maules because the 235s are in higher demand. 750 lbs of people plus fuel and baggage will make a 180 climb very slowly at high density altitude.

At high density altitudes, a fuel injected engine climbs better than a carbureted engine. Rear seat headroom is better in the M than MX for tall people.

It's hard to find a 260 hp on the market and the lower useful load might not meet your needs.

I prefer oleos to spring aluminum due to lower weight and width but there's a bit more maintenance with them.
Andy
1986 MX7-180