New to me M5

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

A local plywood wholesaler suggested that I use a 1/4â€￾ 5 ply plywood called Meranti. I looked at it and think it will work well. There isn’t anything wrong with my original 1976 floor except it’s heavy. The back piece with carpet weights 14-1/2 pounds. I’m thinking about just painting the floor. I’m not really a fan of carpet.

I do need some suggestions on replacing the small o-ring on the spring pack. The first side I cut the first one but got the second one ok. This second spring pact is kicking my butt. I’ve cut 6, yes six o-rings. The best I can tell is that it’s actually cutting it on the brass bushing. The groove is sharp. I thought about putting it in my lathe and cutting a chamfer on it. But I’m not sure that’s a good idea. Any help I’ll gladly listen. As of now I’m waving the white flag.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

G280Driver wrote:A local plywood wholesaler suggested that I use a 1/4â€￾ 5 ply plywood called Meranti.
They also have Marine grade Meranti plywood. I wonder if that would be any stronger. Would like to see some pics sometime of your progress.

I'm in the middle of doing a panel upgrade on my M5.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I redid the floor in the baggage compartment and the front seat foot area. I hated the carpet catching all the dirt and leaves in the backcountry. I used Lonfloor's 'loncoin' rubber type matting. I glued it onto the plywood. The best thing I ever did to the interior. So easy to wipe clean with a damp rag.
I say ditch the carpet and go rubber. I left the areas directly under the front seats since they were a pain to get to but those spots don't get hammered anyway.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Vinyl flooring

Post by Hale-Yes »

I have also ditched the carpet for the same aircraft vinal flooring as Rezrider. It's tough as nails, waterproof, lightweight, aircraft rated, cleans up easily with a damp cloth, non-slip and comes in lots of colors and patterns. I glued it onto my CF floorboards with the manufactures epoxy glue. I'm really happy with it.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Vinyl flooring

Post by Hale-Yes »

I have also ditched the carpet for the same aircraft vinal flooring as Rezrider. It's tough as nails, waterproof, lightweight, aircraft rated, cleans up easily with a damp cloth, non-slip and comes in lots of colors and patterns. I glued it onto my CF floorboards with the manufactures epoxy glue. I'm really happy with it.

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

Pictures
This was taken in 88 when it left Alaska and headed to Texas.

This is the guy I bought it from.

This is the original panel.

Paint progress.

After stripping and polishing spinner.

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

Wing tops

Wing bottoms

Gear on.

Last edited by G280Driver on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

very nice!
M5

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I like the 'wellies' in the spinner pic!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

Have the upgross kit almost done. Another hour and it’s done.

Horizontal and elevators are at powder coat. Should be ready to pick up this Friday. Oratex is here. Hopefully we’ll get that done next week.

What I’m trying to figure out is where flap retract springs connect. All that was taken apart before I got a chance to see it.
Any pics would be appreciated.

Jim

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Nice. Like the paint colors and scheme!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Page D 10 in the parts manual shows all the parts and breakdown of flap mechanism. One end of spring goes on the link to the bell crank and other end goes on the smaller link/tab bolted to rear spar.
Don’t over stretch the spring when attaching. A small rope or length of wire can be run from outboard end of spring and then around the strut to steady it. A needle nose vice grip can then be used to locate spring in hole on tab.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

flew the Maule for the first time today after finally getting airplane re-assembled, everything done, signed off, and annual done.
Plane flew great. Did some air work then several landings in various configurations both 3 points and wheel landing both on grass and asphalt. I’m happy to report all went great. Following Jeremy’s rigging instructions resulted with spot on rigging. Feet on the floor. Hands in my lap straight and level. Straight forward handling.
All in all very satisfied.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

G280Driver wrote:flew the Maule for the first time today after finally getting airplane re-assembled, everything done, signed off, and annual done.
Plane flew great. Did some air work then several landings in various configurations both 3 points and wheel landing both on grass and asphalt. I’m happy to report all went great. Following Jeremy’s rigging instructions resulted with spot on rigging. Feet on the floor. Hands in my lap straight and level. Straight forward handling.
All in all very satisfied.
Congratulations!
Any pictures of the "completed" (is any plane really complete?) project?

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »