New to me M5

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
G280Driver

New to me M5

Post by G280Driver »

I bought/traded to get my new to me M5 210C. I traded my Cessna 170B for the Maule project and cash. Pretty happy with the deal. The maule sat for a while in a hanger in a dry environment. The fabric and paint on the fuselage is in good condition, the fabric on horizontal stab and elevator is ok but the paint/dope is terrible so planning to cover them in Oratex. Looking in the empanage it’s clean, wood stringers are all there still standing up properly with red paint and no rot.
I’m considering stripping the wings, doors, boot cowl, and engine cowling, sanding the fuselage and repainting the plane.
Interior is in good condition for its age. Most likley will just reglue where old glue let loose.
Panel is old king stuff but all appears to function. I did remove a HF radio it’s power supply and its reel antenna. 19 pounds worth! Other than that the panel is as originally built.
I have logs and all paperwork from new. Even have the original Bill of sale,
KingRadio brochures, etc.

Ordered the parts CD today. While the wings are off I want to get Up Gross kit installed. Also going to have to replace Aileron cables as they were cut when the wings were removed. Wondering if I should replace with stainless. All others cables are original steel.
Been thru the fuel system and reset all fuel pressures per Continental SID97-3C, engine is running great. Prior to pulling prop thru we pulled all plugs and bore scoped cylinders. No corrosion and cross hatching still visible. Looked inside engine also with no issues noted.

So overall it looks like a great start.

Jim

To intruduce myself. Im a corporate pilot for a major defense contractor. Based out of Fort Worth Texas. This is my first maule. Ive owned Cessna 170B, 170A, 150L, 310Q, and learned to fly in a 182Q.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Several of us Hangar at F69 just north of Addison. Stop by sometime. We have two M4’s and one M5 on field.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Welcome to the brotherhood! Check the tail for corrosion. All t hose tubes coming together back there is a great place for moisture to accumulate!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Congrats on the purchase, post some pics of the rebuild for us to see.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Mog wrote:Several of us Hangar at F69 just north of Addison. Stop by sometime. We have two M4’s and one M5 on field.
I just had an overnight in Addison for work, should have looked y'all up!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Please do next time. I live about 3 min north east of Addison. F69 is about the same straight north.

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

Have a couple questions for the masses.

I received my Parts CD from the factory. With in that it lists the normal size tires and the ABW tires and also the 29-11-10 4 ply tires. Would an STC be required to run these or because there “Factoryâ€￾ approved would it not be needed. I found a set for a reasonable price and I’m based on asphalt so the 29-11-10’s would last longer. We do have grass we can un officially use but if you announce it on the radios a local will park his truck in the way. Don’t know why he’s a butt, but he is.

Second question. I’m trying to be patient with the factory considering the weather and all. I asked them this question but no reply as of yet.
Is there anyone here who could venture a guess at what dope/paint is on my 76 with Razorback fabric and original paint. A good friend and retired IA is telling me his guess is Randolph. Any educated guesses or confirmations.

Lastly, for now, I reviewing the CD I have the Forward mounted battery. It’s under passenger seat. It appears there was no battery box originally. Can someone confirm this. I don’t have a battery box currently but assumed there would have been one.

Jim

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

M5-210C has battery under right front seat in a rack rather than box, the wet battery vent goes down the tube for the step.
The seat has a spring loaded catch at front right of seat to allow easy access by tipping the seat backward.
Yes, Randolph was used on Razorback. If recovering the plane you can lose up to 25lbs.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

If the factory lists the 29's as standard equipment, you shouldn't need an STC or field approval, just a log book entry.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Congrats on your purchase. I look forward to seeing your progress. I have a list of things I want to do to my M5, but doing one thing at a time. Right now I'm still learning how to fly it better.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

G280, The only ABW's that are on our TCDS is the tailwheels. The only main gear tires and wheels that we have approved are the 7.00, 8.00 and the 8.50's. Anything else would require a STC.

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

As an update on my M5 project.

I have the fuselage and wings painted. Oratex on horizontal and elevators, ABW HD extended gear is here but not installed, ABW sealed struts are enroute to be delivered tomorrow. Ive removed 24 pounds of useless antique radios, removed all interior and cleaned up / vacuumed up a few handfuls of dirt rocks and trash from the belly. Removed all insulation with the exception of the boot cowl area. About ready to transport to the airport and re assemble but unfortunately my upgross kit, flap return springs and a few decals are apparently on a slow boat from china and now wont be shipped until after the factory holiday shut down. To say Im disappointed would be an understatement. I ordered and paid what I thought was plenty early, but I was wrong. So instead of making my goal of flying early January, Im now hoping for early February, assuming I get my factory order delivered in January.

G280Driver

Post by G280Driver »

Had to fly a quick trip the Ashville yesterday. But when I got home I started on ABW gear swap. Although expensive the gear looks great. Power coating is really nice. Their packaging was equally impressive. I was only able to get one side swapped out. ALL of the bolts were bent on the side I did. The worst was the top of the spring pack where it’s bolted to the fuselage. I really need to show a picture of that one. When the experts here tell you to change out the gear bolts for the stronger version do it, period.

I also re o-ringed the spring pack. That was easy except not cutting the o-rings, especially the small one. That was challenging, but one side done. One side to go.

ABW sealed struts delivered yesterday, also quality pieces.

I’m gonna make new flooring while I’m waiting on upgross kit and flap springs.

Been a fun project so far.

I’m gonna try to get set up to post pictures, that will be more interesting than my typing.
Last edited by G280Driver on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LCDRLES

Post by LCDRLES »

I would be interested in how you replace your floor.
Our old M5’s original floor is failing and I need to replace and would like to see some ideas on how to do it.
1984 M5 180C, N5654B
1956 Cessna 180, N4971A
1977 7GCAA, N1165E

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Some owners have gone with carbon fiber floorboards for replacements to save weight without sacrificing strength. Check out this forum link: http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5503
Andy
1986 MX7-180