What Should I Buy?

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
HughR

What Should I Buy?

Post by HughR »

Hello all.

I have recently retired and am looking to purchase a plane to play with. Having flown a M4-220 many years ago, a Maule is on the short list of possibilities. My flying would be in eastern Canada, so no high elevation airports and little opportunity for off airport operations, so a 180 would seem to be all that I require. However, the list of possibilities is expanded if I include the 210 or 220 option. And, for when I am done with it, a 235 might be in higher demand for resale. Anyone have any thoughts, in particular on the Continental 210 and Franklin 220 engines?

Thanks.

Hugh

firstmaule4

Post by firstmaule4 »

Their are lots of arm chair pilots who have not owned a franklin or Maule. However to those naysayers disbelief you can still get both serviced today in a timely manner. The Maule factory has been Johnie on the spot when I order replacement parts for my planes. The franklin 220 first call go to person is Susan at franklin parts in Jewett Texas, she can get you all kinds of things you might need from overhaul components to motor mount bushings Chris at airworxs overhauls the franklins at his shop in Alabama. Look Chris up on Facebook then give him a ring and ask about current franklin parts availability. Next Franklin aerospace in North Carolina carry’s the sky tech lightweight starter and can have you 1 the next day if you ever need to swap starters
I have had my 1972 model M4 220 since 2011 and it flies weekly and is a very reliable plane with great performance Pick a good plane so you can enjoy flying it. Rebuilding someone else’s neglected basket case can take a whole lot of money and time you could be flying
My other plane is a 1990 Maule m7235 longwing great plane as well. However if you start looking for 1 you will believe they are unicorns took me four years looking for a long wing before one came available that did not have major damage history

Curtis
100+ Posts

Post by Curtis »

Firstmaule4:
What is your MP and RPM setting, on your M4 220 Franklin, when at cruise?
Also, what is your gph at your cruise setting?
Curtis

firstmaule4

Post by firstmaule4 »

2400rpm
24.5 to 24.9 manifold
11 galllons in cruise with 201 prop

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Interesting that you fly oversquare with your Franklin. I fly 24 man and 25RPM. This yields about 10-11gph with the small twizzle stick prop. At 23 &24 with reasonable leaning I can get 8.5-9.5gph. But that’s slowing down a fair bit.

Sorry for the thread Hijack, please return transponders back to VFR.

firstmaule4

Post by firstmaule4 »

My engine book from franklin shows 2400 rpm and 24.7 manifold as 65% power down low I don’t lean aggressively probably wasting lots of fuel but I don’t have an engine monitor either however I am in the lower yellow arc on airspeed
At 2500 & 24 franklin book shows 70% power at 4000 foot

HughR

Post by HughR »

Thanks firstmaul4 for your insight on Franklin engines. I have now looked at the website for Franklin Engine Company (Susan) and at info on line for Franklin Aerospace. Mystery and intrigue seem to be close at hand with anything Franklin but it appears there is more service and support available than I realized. I found the website for Franklin Aerospace does not exist and there seems no information on the web more recent than 2017, so I am wondering if they are still active.

I now need to research the Continental 210 option as well.

Hugh

firstmaule4

Post by firstmaule4 »

Southern Aero is franklin aerospace in thomasville NC 3364769094 they are still in business and can get you starter and more

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Franklin is still very alive and well, Susan is good people and I've heard great things about the company over in the Carolinas.
TJ Van Matre

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

There's a lot of Franklin expertise at the Stinson group on Yahoo! There are a few colorful characters over there, too, so don't get too wound up. But if you need Stinson guidance, it's a hard place to beat, even if you just read the content but don't participate.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/stinson/info
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I really enjoy my M4 220. However I am always longing for something bigger with equal or better performance. But considering price, performance and being a 4place I always come back to my M4 220. It’s really a damn good airplane. M5 220 is probably a great plane as well. But I do like the look and higher crosswind rating of the M4.

HughR

Post by HughR »

Thank you to everyone who has replied. It would seem that I have badly underestimated the Franklin engine option. The 220 is now high on my list of possibilities with the 210 now very much at the bottom.

Someone on this site has sent me a pm regarding Maule Canada. I have, by accident, managed to delete the message without replying. My apologies.

Hugh

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Don't sell the 210 short. There are lots of us out there and not many complaints. They are expensive to overhaul though so if you go that route, make sure you get a healthy one. If you get one that already has the IO-360D, with the heavy case and the VAR crankshaft, you are ahead in the game. It is the older engines with the light case and the non-VAR crank that will eat up your $$$.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

The 210 does great from what I have seen. It may not be a Franklin, but it still gets it with the right setup. I would love to own TJ’s 210 M4. Not sure I would give up my 220 form it, but his is pretty awesome.