How would this be for a first Maule?

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
DavidB.

How would this be for a first Maule?

Post by DavidB. »

Here is the link to the Craigslist ad:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/avo/ ... 29442.html

What I really want in a 180 HP M7 with a constant speed, or a 235 hp M7.
But, other things in life keep sucking money from my airplane fund and I really just want to fly again.

What are the pro's and con's of this aircraft? Assuming it is in good enough shape for me to buy (I am an A&P, and I am picky about some things) and wont need a ton a restoration work like fabric or corrosion repair. I am wondering how this engine is compared to a Lycoming?
How will this preform compared to other Maules?

My tail wheel experience has mostly been in a CC Sport Cub, and Carbon Cub with a little flying in a Champ, and a PA20/22. I have about 200 hours tail wheel. I know this aircraft is not going to jump off the round like a Carbon Cub, and that's really not what I need in an aircraft.

My mission profile is flying around North Central WA (I live in Lake Chelan) mostly for fun. I will also be flying over the Cascades (Day, VFR, Nice weather) often as we can, and taking one or two long cross country trips with 2 people on board per year. I want to be able to land (and take off) from some friends farms, Lake Wenatchee State airport, Stehiken, and maybe visit some of Idaho's great small strips.

What I don't want is an aircraft that I feel I need to do a lot of upgrades to for me to really enjoy, and own an aircraft where any upgrade is not equitable vs. te value of the upgraded aircraft.

I think I just talked myself into holding off a bit longer and just buying something that already has what I need.

D.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

I think you'd be pleased with that choice. I have an MX7-180A which isn't too far removed from the M5-180. You'd have the benefit of a CS prop with that one which I wish I had from time to time. Mine is a FP prop. That one has a Scott 3224 tailwheel on it, too, which is great (the 3200 with the HD steering arms from ABI).

Seattle area is mostly sea-level stuff if memory serves. I believe you'd enjoy it. Central Washington, not sure what the altitude and DA concerns out there. I've wondered about taking mine into the mountains, but I live pretty far away from them and it's never been on my near-future todo list.

I hope it's in good enough shape for you to jump on it!
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Decent enough looking plane, but for the asking price you might be able to get more plane even in a Maule. 180hp is fine, but you should be able to get 210 or better if you are patient.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I have an M5 with the 180HP C1F, VERY happy with it for what we do: High DA in HOT and high altitudes of New Mexico and it performs admirably at gross in these conditions. The '79 vintage does not have the 2400 lb upgross reinforcements but operating at 2300 gross still gives a 900 lb useful, depending on how heavy it is. The cruise speeds he is advertising is a stretch; you will not see 145 and it has a 15,000' ceiling, not 20. Trust but verify.

Otherwise, if the plane is in good condition, the price is about right given current market on Maules. They're lots of fun!
Last edited by DeltaRomeo on Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
M5

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Way too much money for that airplane. I might sell you the Beast Maule - been kicking it around.
TJ Van Matre

TimB
100+ Posts

180HP Maule

Post by TimB »

Too much money for that bird with both rear bent spars
TimB

firstmaule4

Post by firstmaule4 »

Check your private message box sent email about my M4 220C I will be listing tonight

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

As others have mentioned, none of the performance numbers quoted in the ad are real:

"A real STOL aircraft off the ground in 250' cruse 145, fuel 63 gal , climb@1350fpm ceiling 20,000".

Takeoff distance of about 600 feet with pilot and full mains is more likely. With 26" tires a cruise speed of 120 mph would be more likely. Climb is more likely 800 fpm and ceiling is around 12,500. No mention of damage history and too expensive for that year and equipment.

A 180 hp engine and constant speed prop would work for what you described. When loaded or high density altitude expect to climb around 500 fpm if you're lucky. My 1986 MX-7-180 has a max gross of 2,500 lbs and useful load of 1060 lbs. Original price with TT 1242 in 1998 it was $51,750.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

. Having flown throughout AZ, Utah, and NM, the strips there are all designed around high DA.
That is not the same as the PNW.
As an example, the 180hp will dictate when you would depart Stehiken. Your option will be east over the lake 99.9 % of the time regardless of conditions Mountain Doctor on the site here can fill you in on 180 hp Maule performance locally. Nothing against them, I enjoy the balanced feel compared to the big Lyc.
I thought the long wing was a better match with the 180. (Thanks Christine!) If you’ve no qualms about the 220 Frank, they are spectacular performers. Great balance and handling with short wing.
I ended up buying a 235 after thoroughly enjoying flying a 220 in a Stinson.
The extra cubes (and turbo) made up my mind to switch. It’s a 5 and the shortest wing option they did. I’ve not wished for more wing with the extra ponies.
Thumb a ride with some local Maule guys and see what worked best for you personally.
There’s my two bits !
79 M5 235Turbo

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Did everyone miss the comment on "bent rear spar"?
Let Freedom Prevail

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I didn’t miss it, just wondered where it came from. It’s not in the add so far as I can see.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Mog wrote:I didn’t miss it, just wondered where it came from. It’s not in the add so far as I can see.
This... unless the comment comes from local knowledge I see no evidence that substantiates it.
TJ Van Matre

TimB
100+ Posts

Bent spar

Post by TimB »

d
Last edited by TimB on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimB

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

I worked on this aircraft in the past and was working on the rigging when it can to light, we ran a string line down the wing and found both rear spars bent down and found out that it had ben flipped over in the past and not replaced from a previous owner and sold. The owner at that time sold it. Now its back up for sale- pass the buck, buyer beware. Lots of wash in!!!!
TimB

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Sounds like a good candidate for some left over wings from someone’s universal upgrade. Price is still stupid though.