How would this be for a first Maule?

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

David B.

Check your PM

DavidB.

Post by DavidB. »

TimB wrote:I worked on this aircraft in the past and was working on the rigging when it can to light, we ran a string line down the wing and found both rear spars bent down and found out that it had ben flipped over in the past and not replaced from a previous owner and sold. The owner at that time sold it. Now its back up for sale- pass the buck, buyer beware. Lots of wash in!!!!
Tim,

The owner sent me log book entries, he is ready to come WAY down in price due to illness. I do not think he can fly anymore.

I see an entry from you in 2015 about welding the seat and muffler. The only entry I see referencing the rigging is from another shop. Are you sure it's the same aircraft?
This one looks to have had a gear collapse at one point, but no indication from what I have seen that it ws flipped over.

I'm an A&P, with my own hangar and all the stuff I need to work on this aircraft, but I have little experience in fabric airplanes, despite having worked at Cub Crafters for a while. I did sales and computer stuff for them, I only flew the cubs. Most of my experience is with turbine helicopters and Pilatuses flown on part 135 certificates.

I like the advice you have given Maule owners on this forum. You seem picky, I like that, I am too. If I decide to go for this aircraft, can I pay you to come to it and inspect it with me?

David

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

let's chat
TimB

DavidB.

Post by DavidB. »

MauleWacko wrote:David,
If you decide to buy it, fly it for a while first. Not just around the pattern.
I myself would not want or own a maule under 220 Hp. Some guys are ok with it. I have never met a pilot wanting less HP. One thing to look at is how many times it changed hands. Quite a few ?? Wonder why???
I think it is still priced to high. I follow the market. I am seeing now the first time since the last crash, prices starting to come down, planes not selling as fast and a lot of price reduced. I have had my share of Maule's and stol type aircraft. I am very picky in the way an aircraft fly's. Any aircraft I own next will have to be 200 mph plus or it is not my tool I need.
Tim B. is one of only two mechanic I have met that would be well worth paying to inspect any Maule or aircraft. I always say I would pay to have either one do a inspection on a plane I wanted to buy and pay to have them go on vacation while I was selling one!!
You must of known Bryant at CC?
Never met or heard of Bryant. I was hired into management there to accomplish some specific tasks. I didn't spend a lot of time with production workers or the mechanics at CC Services (a different company from the factory)

D.

DavidB.

I am still looking......

Post by DavidB. »

The owner of the M5 near Seattle pulled his M5 off Craigslist and won't return my calls or texts after I told him I would still be interested at a lower price, and after inspecting it to verify that it does not actually have a bent spar.
That was a couple of weeks ago. He has since re-listed it at a slightly lower price.

I saw an M4 with a 145 Continental for sale on Barnstormers. I called Wup and talked to him about it. He sort of convinced me that I would not be happy with 145 HP. That plane sold quickly and I missed it. I may or may not have been happy with 145 HP, but I am less happy that I still do not have an airplane in my hangar.

I am also looking at Pacers. I look at them, then I look at Maules again, then I don't want a Pacer. I have flown 2 tri-pacers and a Bushmaster converted Pacer owned by Stan Franz of Cub Crafters. All of them were total POS's as far as appearance. The Bushmaster was fun to fly around in Idaho, but was way slower than the pack of Carbon Cubs we were in formation with. One of the tri-pacers got me and a lot of gear in and out of places all over SE Alaska. It had quite a few things done to it to cope with the terrain we had (bigger tires, extended nose fork, VG's) It got the job done. I would consider a Pacer (not a tri-pacer) and would consider a PA12, but I want a Maule.

I have seen a couple Franklin powered Maules for sale. I think Franklin engines may have been the better of the 3 engines offered, but I have a hard time bringing myself to buy anything that is not supported by a factory that still makes new parts. Yes, I know about the attempts to make the engines and parts again. But after trying to source stuff for a Hiller with a 220 HP Franklin that a local operator was using for cherry drying, I am not enthused about owning one.

I guess the answer to my dilemma is to just come up with more money. That's happening, but it takes time. In the mean time, I am open to just about anything that flys. I am an A&P, can be an IA again easily, but am working in real estate right now. I wouldn't mind putting my skills, tools, and hangar to use and buying somewhat of a project to fly, improve, and hopefully re-sell at a profit. Maybe I can work my way into the aircraft I really want, and have something to fly in the meantime.

I'm just rambling.