Baumann versus Aqua floats

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
callisto989

Baumann versus Aqua floats

Post by callisto989 »

Interested in opinions on Baumann straight floats (not their amphibs) versus Aqua 2400's. Handling -- rough water -- durability - etc, etc.
The floats will be for a M7-235
I know Baumann is out of business, but are service items available ??
Any help from the forum would be useful
thanks

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Aqua 2400 have been around with great success on 235hp Maules.
There have been a couple of upgrades over the years to bow compartments and strut geometry. Larger rudders and dual hatches per float have been options.
Bauman 2720 are the equivalent with similar flotation. They are a little lighter but not quite as sturdy. Baumans perform well when its a light load whereas Aqua excel with the heavy loads
Both have flat safe decks with cargo hatches versus EDO 2440 with its rounded top narrow deck and skinny hatches which were optional.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

I've got a set of Aqua 2400's I've been running on my M-5-235 for a few years now and they are great. They are super beefy floats, they handle well and have a nice amount of storage in them as well as large access hatches. Helen and Terry Claggett are also super helpful and supportive. In fact I can't say enough nice things about their customer support. Even when they're in BFE Canada during the summers they are still reachable via email and can provide support. Just make sure if you get Aquas you have the HD struts and flying wires if you're planning on flying at the heavier gross weight (not a problem if you buy new but used floats you never know what you're going to get (ask me how I know). Also the newer larger (more square-ish) water rudders Jeremy mentioned make a world of difference in controllability with any appreciable wind conditions. Good luck.

James

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Btw Callisto989, I have a very nice set of Aqua 2400 if you're searching
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

ditto on everything flyusn99 said above.

i have no baumann experience, but i have been running my aqua 2400's in alaska for 8 seasons (going to be starting their ninth in another week). and mine are 1978 models. still going strong.
and i love that the company is still in business, so parts and support are still available.
M5-235