Prebuy Inspection - Alaska

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
MauleEnvy

Prebuy Inspection - Alaska

Post by MauleEnvy »

New to the forum and to the Maule world. Looking at purchasing my first Maule and would like any recommendations for a mechanic familiar with Maules to do a prebuy inspection. Matsu Valley or Anchorage.

Any info on a good appraiser and also Maule specific flight instructor in the area would be appreciated also!

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Welcome to the forums. Another Maule here at Wolf Lake? Excellent! :D

For Maule instruction, I flew with Walt Warner (Legends Aviation) in Willow, in his MX7-180 before I got my own. He's knowledgeable, thorough, and laid back, and we did airport work as well as off-road stuff in his Maule.

For inspection/prebuy, some folks who know Maules that come to mind would be Northern Aviation (Lake Hood), Eddie Trimmer (Willow), Gary Jones (Birchwood), Grant Chapman (Anderson Lake). My neighbor here at 4AK6 is an A&P in the midst of an M-6 rebuild, but I'm not sure if he does outside work. Could send his contact info by PM if interested.

AJ
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Mark - AK

Post by Mark - AK »

I would also add Wick Air at 4-corners just down the street from you.
Mark - AK

MauleEnvy

Post by MauleEnvy »

Thanks for the info. Not a Maule owner yet, but hopefully soon. So far only 2 up here for sale and only one of those has my interest. Really would prefer a 235 vs 180, but it looks to be a nice clean bird.

Mike
ajak wrote:Welcome to the forums. Another Maule here at Wolf Lake? Excellent! :D

For Maule instruction, I flew with Walt Warner (Legends Aviation) in Willow, in his MX7-180 before I got my own. He's knowledgeable, thorough, and laid back, and we did airport work as well as off-road stuff in his Maule.

For inspection/prebuy, some folks who know Maules that come to mind would be Northern Aviation (Lake Hood), Eddie Trimmer (Willow), Gary Jones (Birchwood), Grant Chapman (Anderson Lake). My neighbor here at 4AK6 is an A&P in the midst of an M-6 rebuild, but I'm not sure if he does outside work. Could send his contact info by PM if interested.

AJ

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Best of luck, hope you find what you're looking for. One idea if you're thinking about a 180, but haven't flown one yet, might be to go hire Walt at Legends Aviation in Willow to go fly his MX7-180 around for an hour or so and see how it feels. As much as I like having extra power, I thought the 180 actually felt better balanced than the 235, which seems to be a weird mix of a heavy tail but forward CG. And depending on what your main intended purposes are, the 180 has the advantages of being lighter and having a better range.

AJ
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Float Pilot

Post by Float Pilot »

I called a place two days ago about an M6-235 ad I found on the internet. In Wasilla no less....Turned out the ad was a few years old...No wonder the price was so reasonable.

Hawgsforever

Post by Hawgsforever »

MauleEnvy,

Mark and Nathan at Chena Marina in Fairbanks have a good bit of experience maintaining Maules and may be able to help you out if you find something for them to look at. They are very busy, but once their schedule allowed, I was pleased with the information they provided for my purchase last summer.

Good luck with the search.
Hawgsforever
AK - The Great Land