210 vs 235

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

210 vs 235

Post by HeavyLoad »

Looking at a few maules with different engines. I'm wondering if there is much real world performance difference between the 210 and 235?

I'm more of a lycoming guy, but found a contential M5-210 that is pretty nice though it has some engine issues.

Another separate question is has anyone converted a 210 to a 235? Not sure if the cowl would fit. Engine mount and many other things would have to change I know.

Thanks.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You'll never get the money spent on conversion back. You'll be surprised how many pieces you will need.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

The 210 is a smooth runner for sure. Set up well they work nice.
It hasn't the variation of prop options and support of the 235. As well as the variations of 235's for that matter.
I find the lower rpm more enjoyable to fly behind. Now That's totally subjective I realize. But, a 2400 rpm engine is a very nice combo with a 86" prop.
I didn't exclude the 210 models when I was shopping for a M-5, however flying behind both engines in similar rigged -5's, the choice for me of the 0-540 was easy.
The vastly more experienced members on the board here can chime in on the differences between overhaul costs.
Haven't regretted the desicion once.
79 M5 235Turbo