Maule Research

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Justinotto

Maule Research

Post by Justinotto »

Hello Maule forum. Over the past few months I've been reading through many of your posts and learning tons. My mission involves flying in and out of a fairly short grass strip, 850ft, on a regular basis and occasional 600nm trips to visit my parents. The 850 ft strip has some pretty good size trees (75-100 ft tall) approx. 450 ft from the beginning of the grass. To those of you who fly out of short fields, does this even sound doable after becoming very comfortable with the airplane?

I think I'm leaning towards finding a maule with the longer wing (I realize there are a couple of variations) to help with the STOL performance and 235hp to help bump up the cruise speed. This is just my initial thought, not set in stone. Ultimately I would like to end up with extended gear and large tires as well (probably not going to help with cruise speeds).

I was wondering if any of you could weigh in on the differences in performance between an M5 with the 210 HP motor, an MX7-180 and an M7-235. I'm planning on finding the constant speed prop. Additionally, how does the 220 HP Franklin compare to the 210 in terms of real-world performance?

I live in the Memphis, TN area. I would be grateful to see a Maule in person if any of you are based somewhere near. Thanks in advance.