Maule Research

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Because of the limited number of these aircraft on the market at any given time one almost has to look at what's out there at any given time and decide which one closest fits your mission and pocketbook. Deciding that you must a specific model may keep you looking for a long time.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:roll:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

Interesting. I guess what I am trying to do is to get a feel for the performance of various recipes, or combinations of airframe vs. power plant so I can dial in my search. Since it seems to be often discussed that the Maule handbook and performance data is fairly incorrect, I'm not sure how else to obtain this type of information without asking those who operate the equipment in the real world.

I understand the variables. Pilot technique and loading will have a huge impact on stol. Rigging will be an issue when discussing top speed.

Again, I'm just trying to draw some generalizations to help narrow down my search.

A few of my basic questions are...in general, how much shorter is an M7-235's take-off roll than an M4 or m5-210 given the same pilot? How about the M5-235? Are we talking a difference of 100 ft or more like a 300 ft between them? It's really important to my mission given the 850 ft grass with trees a few hundred feet off the end.

Does a Maule with a longer wing suffer a reduction in cruise speed of 5 kts or more like 15 kts when compared to an M4 or M5 similarly powered? Again, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of the differences. Perhaps I'm just making things difficult but that is definitely not my intent.

This forum has some really useful posts and I appreciate all of the feedback.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:)

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

MauleWacko wrote:The performance data will be you taking a flight, getting rides in the model you narrow it down to. Not every thing you read or here about is true. I would look at cost to overhaul, parts availability, options for any improvements like propeller etc. Some you can and some did not have a option for that engine model number. Go fly say a 1997 m7235 then a say 1979 m5235 then a m4210 or m5210 then a 180hp model and you will have a good ideal of what will or won't work for you. The years you find out there may be different but try to spread out it out. It would be like trying out a Cessna 170 up to a 185 but with more to put together. You can get any airplane that will get you in the air. It sure is nice to have one that really works for your needs and that is the hardest part. I have bought more than one airplane that after a few hours of flying it, back on the market it went. You can do a registration search on the N number and if it changed hands a lot that means something. Good luck on your search. :)[/quote

Ok, that's interesting. I'll try to find a way to take a few flights, thanks.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Justinotto,
Get hold of Rick Geiger at montanabyair.com he will check you out in the lowest hp of 160 and also in 235hp as he has both. You both can measure 850ft, on grass and asphalt, determine that day's density altitude and you will get a very realistic taste of two ends of the Maule range.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

This link has different pages for the various models:

http://www.mauleflight.com/faq/

Your mileage will vary :D

Maule does not publish an AFM that has comprehensive performance charts at given altitudes and weights (such as Cessna, Piper,etc). This is your job as a pilot to learn those capabilities in a safe manner and know your limitations. It is a large part of the fun of being a Maule pilot is learning what it can do. I don't know what your mission is but that the Maule is popular with bush operators should tell you something. It carries a lot of weight for it's size and delivers STOL performance with decent cruise speeds. Super cubs are great but if you have to fly very far, the Maule will leave it behind.
M5

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

maules.com wrote:Justinotto,
Get hold of Rick Geiger at montanabyair.com he will check you out in the lowest hp of 160 and also in 235hp as he has both. You both can measure 850ft, on grass and asphalt, determine that day's density altitude and you will get a very realistic taste of two ends of the Maule range.
Great idea, thanks

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

MauleWacko wrote:One thing I was wondering is what aircraft fly's into that 850ft strip you mentioned in your post? Also your amount you can spend for purchase will also narrow things down.
No airplanes yet, I'm using a portion of our property to create a small strip.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

There are a lot of other factors when you say 850 ft what about trees or obstacles is there clear way one direction how is the slope good grass or sand and mud. My place is 1500 ft we have some trees and a good bit of slope . We tend to land uphill unless the wind is strong. Just a bit more to think about while looking good luck . The reunion in Moultrie might be a good place to see a few different models.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I just did a quick calculation on my Take Off Performance Computer (aka T.O.P. Comp available at sporty's http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/takeof ... puter.html )

I used 600 ft standard take off distance Full Gross as the indicator.

Entered 500 ft elevation, 80F, Grass surface, no incline, no wind, 80% gross weight and got a take off distance of ~ 675 ft Rate of climb to clear obstacles depends greatly on horsepower, temp, humidity, gross wt., and piloting.

Obviously one needs to calibrate the "computer" to their aircraft's performance. If M7-180 takes off in 500 ft at max gross, then that should be entered as the base. Taking off and gaining airspeed in ground effect, while a good technique, messes with the calculation.

TD

DAT

Post by DAT »

I'm in Memphis. I've had 4 Maules and currently have an M5 235. I've put in at least 6 strips on various farms I've owned. PM me and I'll be glad to try to help.
Maule M4 220C

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

captnkirk wrote:There are a lot of other factors when you say 850 ft what about trees or obstacles is there clear way one direction how is the slope good grass or sand and mud. My place is 1500 ft we have some trees and a good bit of slope . We tend to land uphill unless the wind is strong. Just a bit more to think about while looking good luck . The reunion in Moultrie might be a good place to see a few different models.
All great points...the strip I'm discussing is short grass with a fairly hard base, level.