Maule Research

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

51598Rob wrote:Mine is a M5 210 with the long prop. The long prop will make your scenario work....but still, cut the trees!
So which prop are you referring to? What does that prop do to your cruise speed!

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

I have the 82" McCauley. Don't know how it effected cruise speed, as I didn't fly it before the change from 76" prop was made. When I changed from 8.5tires to 31 inch tires cruise speed was significantly altered...10 to 15 mph! But cruise speed was a fine trade off for the advantages of the 31" tires for me. Swinging the big prop gets me off the ground quicker, climb faster, and down at a steeper angle than the shorter prop with same engine. I don't know by how much, put the io360 is lighter than the big engines, and in my opinion, is a good balance for fuel economy and power in my M5.
Let Freedom Prevail

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

You have an 82" on an IO-360? I've heard of a few 80" props but not an 82". Can you add the docs to the 337 library or email them to me?
TJ Van Matre

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

I may have sent you a pm?? Drop me your contacts and I'll email or text you pix.
Let Freedom Prevail

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

51598Rob wrote:I have the 82" McCauley. Don't know how it effected cruise speed, as I didn't fly it before the change from 76" prop was made. When I changed from 8.5tires to 31 inch tires cruise speed was significantly altered...10 to 15 mph! But cruise speed was a fine trade off for the advantages of the 31" tires for me. Swinging the big prop gets me off the ground quicker, climb faster, and down at a steeper angle than the shorter prop with same engine. I don't know by how much, put the io360 is lighter than the big engines, and in my opinion, is a good balance for fuel economy and power in my M5.
So what is your cruise speed?

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

yeah i lost about 12 mph in cruise when i put on my 29 11 10's...now on a good day i can just get 125 mph...but the rough strip safety and of course the cool factor are worth it....lol
so it seems it is possible to put a 80 inch mccauley on our io 360 maules...
Iceman

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

51598Rob wrote:I may have sent you a pm?? Drop me your contacts and I'll email or text you pix.
Didn't get a PM but sent you one.
TJ Van Matre

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

105kts for me on 31's and IO-360.
TJ Van Matre

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

TxAgfisher wrote:105kts for me on 31's and IO-360.
Which prop is that? What power setting? What kind of speed did you get before the 31's? Thanks

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

TxAgfisher wrote:105kts for me on 31's and IO-360.
Is it safe to say all of the IO-360 Maule are Constant Speed props? Do constant speed props do better in the short t/o department? I understand they are heavier than a fixed pitch.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Yes all the IO-360 Cont models have a constant speed prop.

A constant speed prop is like having a multi gear transmission whereas a fixed pitch prop is a one speed (which is usually a compromise of all speeds in performance). The extra weight of a constant speed is of little issue to a Maule.
M5

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Im at 105kts also with the 31's. Constant speed prop may not help for takeoff, but it will help with speed. Our limitation in speed is not power, but rather drag.
Let Freedom Prevail

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

Anyone have cruise data for their M5-235 or M7-235 on 31's? TAS and fuel burn at say 75%?

Justinotto

Post by Justinotto »

Rob, Agfisher, Iceman, Delta, thanks for the feedback.

I may be missing it somewhere on the forum but it would be really helpful to us new folks to get a post going where current members could post real-world data...STOL distances, cruise TAS, fuel burn, etc...for their specific set-up....Maule type, engine, prop, tires. If everyone used a similar altitude like 7500 ft and gave data as TAS it would provide a real "apples to apples" comparison. It would probably be pretty neat for those of you who already own a Maule to compare your performance with others as well.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Justinotto, there are too many variables on individual's aircraft to accurately portray the differences.
Empty weight, gross weight, drag factors, pilot capability, rigging, new engine power v older engine power, airframe correctness, wing trim, flap and aileron trim etc.
Basically higher horsepower is faster and quicker off the ground.
Fuel used is directly related to horsepower used with a little difference between carb v injection. Drag is more prominent at faster speeds, thus higher horsepower does not produce straight line speed increase.
The shorter the wing, the less drag thus faster but not as much lift and higher stall speeds than longer wings.
Then theres the prop efficiency, there being many props available, the five different landing gear available each with different drag factors and weight factors. There are four different flap configurations and many flaps on Maules I see are not rigged for best efficiency.

Best way to choose is define the mission and the monies available for both purchase and operation.then choose the model that will fit those requirements.

There are about 44 variations of the Maule since 1963.
Prices from $15000 to $600000