Gross weight diffs between MX-7-180A and B

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Gross weight diffs between MX-7-180A and B

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Good day all,

Looking at this reference:

http://maules.com/MauleMX7Specs.htm

It looks like the difference in gross weight is 2400 lbs (A) and 2500 lbs (B). The only apparent difference in the charts is the B has a C/S prop. Is that the primary performance limiter: the difference between a fixed and variable prop? The takeoff performance numbers sort of validate that, but just checking.

There's an extra notch of flap on the B, but not sure that's a "thing".

Thanks for your consideration,
Chris

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The MX7-180, MX7-180B(oleo) and C(wide gear) are constant speed prop taildraggers with 2500lb gwt
The MX7-180A(oleo) and AC(wide gear) are fixed pitch prop taildraggers with 2400b gwt.
All the above have -7, 0, 24, 40, 48 degree flaps.
The MXT7-180A is fixed pitch, 2400lb gwt, -7,0,24,40, deg flaps. Trigear.
The MXT7-180 is cons speed , 2500lb gwt, -7,0,24,40, deg flaps. Trigear.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I think the structure is the same but the performance of the 'A' is lower so it has a lower gross weight.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Mountain Doctor wrote:I think the structure is the same but the performance of the 'A' is lower so it has a lower gross weight.
That's kinda what I presumed based on the spec sheet. The C/S prop must really be a huge performer!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The extra weight of cs prop and governor etc is about 50lb so useful loads are not too different.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

I used to own a MXT7-180 and sold it and later purchased a MXT7-180a. I've been unable to tell any real performance differences between the two except during climb-out. Cruise speed differences, in my case anyway, appear to be negligible. From my perspective, the cost savings and potential maintenance issues for my kind of flying make the 180a a better choice. Your mileage may vary depending on your own perspective.
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Thanks for those nuggets of knowledge. The one I'm buying is a fixed-pitch. But it's fun to read and learn about the other options out there.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

I assumed the gross weight difference was related to the c/g envelope, which is improved by the additional weight of the c/s prop
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Cg is controlled by battery position.
Under right front seat on constant speed prop models
On firewall forward on fixed pitch prop models.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Some of the MX7-180A models don't have the 48 degree flaps. If you're looking at a 1993 it might not. I've got the 94 MX7-180A and the max flaps is 40 degrees.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

st8cop166 wrote:I used to own a MXT7-180 and sold it and later purchased a MXT7-180a. I've been unable to tell any real performance differences between the two except during climb-out. Cruise speed differences, in my case anyway, appear to be negligible. From my perspective, the cost savings and potential maintenance issues for my kind of flying make the 180a a better choice. Your mileage may vary depending on your own perspective.
Your post was interesting to read.

In the mountains of the Pacific Northwest I have been disappointed by the performance of my fixed pitch 180.

The spec sheet shows much better rate of climb and clearance of a 50' obstacle with the CS prop and a little better cruise speed.

I have regretted not getting the CS, but the price difference was big. Also the maintenance issues and weight advantages factored into my decision as well.

Finally I think a CS provides better 'airbraking' on final and helps control speed. It's quieter in cruise and may save some gas and increase range. I also like the plane does not rev up or down with every little change of wind or lift, or climbs or descents.

My needs would have been served better by a much more powerful engine, or at least the CS prop. On the other hand, I was able to buy the one I have and for that I am grateful.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

CS props offer a multi-speed transmission whereas fixed pitch is only one speed and a compromise in performance at all ranges. Fixed pitch are simpler and less expensive to operate. This does appeal to a group of pilots and is a viable market to sell an airplane to. But like Wacko said, without the CS prop there is considerable performance the Maule is known for that is left on the table. Still learning my CS prop capabilities but having a blast! :D
M5

Undaunted
100+ Posts

The Man in the (MAULE) Arena

Post by Undaunted »

I say fly whatever you can, regardless of prop or model, because.....

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man(or AIRPLANE) stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena (WITH HIS MAULE C/S or FIXED), whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood (AND GRIN, HUGE GRIN); who strives valiantly; who errs (AT TIMES BOUNCING IT DOWN THE TURF), who comes(LANDS AND TAKES OFF) short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming(AND OWNERSHIP); but who does actually strive to do the deeds(,TO FLY THE AIRCRAFT REGARDLESS OF THE PROP); who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly(IN A MAULE), so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat (THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER VENTURED TO PURCHASE THE MAULE, OF WHICHEVER MODEL OR PROP).

Teddy Roosevelt (WITH SOME ADDED EDITS)
1999 M7-235C

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Hear hear!