What about a late model M4? Or other Maules.

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
triggergapflyer

What about a late model M4? Or other Maules.

Post by triggergapflyer »

I am new to the forum and looking for a taildragger. I am 6'5" tall, pretty slim with long legs. Initially thought about Husky/Super Cub/Scout until I tried to get comfortable in them. I have sat in a C170 and flown a early C180 which I loved. Maules are next on my research list.
I want an airplane that is fun to fly into back country strips (usually no more than 1-200 miles) with my wife and little dog and camp. Maybe a trip or two a year out west.
I have been shopping online and now know that the M7 is a little larger than the MX7. I see a fair amount of talk about the M5 and 6. Not much discussion on the 4.
Wonder if I would fit in one?
How many years did they produce the newer M4?
Any advice concerning the M4 or any other model for that matter?
Thanks in advance.

super-maule

My M-4 Maule

Post by super-maule »

Hello Potential Maule Owner,

I own a 1973 Maule M-4 with the 210 HP IO-360. It is a lot of airplane for the $$$, and about half the price of a Super-Cub. The M-4 is the lightest Maule, and performance is all about the thrust to weight ratio. I don't think you can go wrong with a strait M-4

Good Luck,

James
Clear Creek, Idaho

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

At 6'5" with long legs, I'm thinking that you'll feel pretty folded up in a Maule, with your knees knocking against the yoke. I felt that way until I made a dropped section in the floor for my heels, and I'm 5'8". Find one to sit in and try out for size before you go too far down that road. By the way, the pilot/copilot area is pretty much the same across all models. The M-7 has a larger cabin, but that's pretty much in the rear area. There are some seat differences over the years that can make a pretty big difference in fit.

I used to own a Scout, and it had a LOT more room for the pilot, both legroom and headroom. If you found a Scout tight.....

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

At 6'5" with long legs, I'm thinking that you'll feel pretty folded up in a Maule, with your knees knocking against the yoke. I felt that way until I made a dropped section in the floor for my heels, and I'm 5'8". Find one to sit in and try out for size before you go too far down that road. By the way, the pilot/copilot area is pretty much the same across all models. The M-7 has a larger cabin, but that's pretty much in the rear area. There are some seat differences over the years that can make a pretty big difference in fit.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I am 6'5" and 260lbs at the moment. The M4 is cozy, but I fit just fine. I can even fly with my dad who is also 6'5" but much lighter these days. I have also flown a husky but found that I needed to remove the seat cushion completely to fly it comfortably. If you ever make it to the north Dallas area you are welcome to sit in my M4.

triggergapflyer

Tall guy trying to fit in Maule

Andy Young wrote:At 6'5" with long legs, I'm thinking that you'll feel pretty folded up in a Maule, with your knees knocking against the yoke. I felt that way until I made a dropped section in the floor for my heels, and I'm 5'8". Find one to sit in and try out for size before you go too far down that road. By the way, the pilot/copilot area is pretty much the same across all models. The M-7 has a larger cabin, but that's pretty much in the rear area. There are some seat differences over the years that can make a pretty big difference in fit.
Thanks Andy, that is great information. I have a couple of friends that have Maules (I think they are 1980's somethings) that I can try on for size. Although one thing I have found in the last couple of months of looking is that if you are my size you have to go sit in that very airplane to figure out if it will work as there are so many mods and changes between years and models.

triggergapflyer

Mog wrote:I am 6'5" and 260lbs at the moment. The M4 is cozy, but I fit just fine. I can even fly with my dad who is also 6'5" but much lighter these days. I have also flown a husky but found that I needed to remove the seat cushion completely to fly it comfortably. If you ever make it to the north Dallas area you are welcome to sit in my M4.
Thank you. As a matter of fact I am going to be in Fort Worth off and on for the next couple of weeks. If I have not already reached a conclusion I would like to give you a call. Thanks.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Trigger, I'm assuming that by later model M-4, you mean the M-4 180V. There were only 10 of these ever produced. In my opinion, the lack of a rear door for access to the cargo area was the biggest drawback to this model. All cargo has to be loaded over the seatback. It's a sporty plane though and fun to fly.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

triggergapflyer wrote:
Mog wrote:I am 6'5" and 260lbs at the moment. The M4 is cozy, but I fit just fine. I can even fly with my dad who is also 6'5" but much lighter these days. I have also flown a husky but found that I needed to remove the seat cushion completely to fly it comfortably. If you ever make it to the north Dallas area you are welcome to sit in my M4.
Thank you. As a matter of fact I am going to be in Fort Worth off and on for the next couple of weeks. If I have not already reached a conclusion I would like to give you a call. Thanks.
I am based out of T31 north of Dallas. PM me for a number if you like. We have two M4's and am M5 in my hanger.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

X2 on what Andy and Duane said with the following extra 2 cents.
I'm 6'2" 220lbs 36" inseam. I've got 10hrs in a 2006 M4-180V, and I've owned a 1997 MXT-7 180A and currently own a 1982 M6 235. This is just my experience, I'm not sure about seat changes throughout the model years. The M4 I flew had more leg room than both the MXT and my M6. The MXT was adequate, it became tight if I had a 6' plus passenger. If the passenger put one foot between the pedals on his side it would give me room to position my legs comfortably. Another option would be to remove the yolk on the passenger side, allowing the passenger more wiggle room to get out of the way. The seats in my M6 were super comfortable, but way to thick, my head would touch the ceiling.The previous owner had them made up and must have been shorter than me. Needless to say the seats are now in the upholstery shop getting re-stuffed with two layers of confer foam to bring my head out of the ceiling. The MXT was my first airplane and it was a blast, I sold it because I wanted to get a tail wheel for skis and so on. The M4 I flew was a sweet airplane, I would have bought the M4 180V in a heart beat if it would have had a baggage door. Maule screwed the pooch on that one, deal breaker not including a baggage door. I'm really happy with the M6 and the confer foam seats should be icing on the cake. Good luck with the search.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Duane wrote:Trigger, I'm assuming that by later model M-4, you mean the M-4 180V. There were only 10 of these ever produced. In my opinion, the lack of a rear door for access to the cargo area was the biggest drawback to this model. All cargo has to be loaded over the seatback. It's a sporty plane though and fun to fly.
Why were those made without the baggage door?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

My understanding (which could be incorrect) is that Maule was trying to get into the trainer market. So they were meant to be as light, simple, and inexpensive as possible. I personally think they might have actually been a decent seller in the non-trainer market as a simple, light, VFR-only personal plane, if it only had the baggage door...

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

My understanding (which could be incorrect) is that Maule was trying to get into the trainer market. So they were meant to be as light, simple, and inexpensive as possible. I personally think they might have actually been a decent seller in the non-trainer market as a simple, light, VFR-only personal plane, if it only had the baggage door...

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Ditto what Andy said.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.