Overhaul or Replace IO 360

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Clearwater

Overhaul or Replace IO 360

Post by Clearwater »

My M5-210 has about 1425 hours on it now. Good compression and little oil usage. But as most of you know the TBO is 1500 hours on a Continental IO360d. Can anyone tell me, where do you go when you need another engine?
If I ride the wings of morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me. Ps 139

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Up here in Alaska it was going to cost me as much to do a prop strike/overhaul as it would for a factory 0-time reman. It was the light case with a non-VAR crank though.

This is what you get fro $29K. Aint she purdy?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Ran a LOT of the 360 Continentals in a little different config. in 135 operation in past life. Found you couldn't beat a factory reman. for that engine. It's just an expensive little engine to overhaul yourself. Get a reman., treat it right (cool gently, etc.) and you'll probably make TBO without any problem. A four cylinder Lycoming on the other hand, I got an engine man for that.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Jeff- was this recently? $29K for 6cyl factory reman is excellent price. I just spent over $32K on IO470 at reputable engine shop in ANC for 0 TSO, with all cylinders new Conti!! They all got 6 cylinders, need same parts, etc, etc... Could have bought a lot of things with that price difference!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I think that was 2008. Hard to believe it has been that long.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

The problems as I understand with the IO-360 is the light case and crank. So at overhaul time how much is it for a new crank for a IO-360? And how much for a new case?