micro vortex generators m-4

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
troywitte57@gmail.com

micro vortex generators m-4

Post by troywitte57@gmail.com »

Hello, we have wings removed from our 1963 0-300 m-4 for prep and painting, which brings us to question about VG's. It has had the drooped wingtips installed years ago...................... "is it cost/stol performance beneficial to add VG's on M-4 or not mess with them??
Maule#19

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Troy, the real benefit of the VG's are controlability at high angle of attack. You may see a slight reduction in stall speed, but these things fly slow enough as they are. Aileron effectiveness is the key benefit.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

+1 on Duane's info.

I have them on my M5, which I think has the same wing as the M4, and the low speed control is markedly better.

TD

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have VG's on my m5 and I don't really get a break at stall it's more of a high sink mush. Power on stalls make you feel like your hanging on the prop. I think they are a great addition to the plane just spend some time exploring the back side of the power curve once you get them on.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

And like Duane said the ailerons work real good there too. But then, don't we all steer with the rudder anyway.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Only downside is they make debugging the leading edge rather tedious.
The best Government, is less Government.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

They cut up your wing covers as well... They are well worth it though. Mine will still break in a stall if I make it but the angle of attack is ridiculous. Once installed, the plane will just "mush" as said above unless you try. I've never flown mine without them so I have no comparison.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

troywitte57@gmail.com

Post by troywitte57@gmail.com »

great points, thank you all!
Maule#19

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

I have VGs on the M4 and like them. Just don't let anyone else refuel at the FBO, they systematically will drag the hose over the ones near the fuel tanks, rip them off and give you the blank stare...when you confront them.