new owner Maule M-4

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
troywitte57@gmail.com

new owner Maule M-4

Post by troywitte57@gmail.com »

Hello, I recently purchased a M-4 clean project. Serial #19. Original and complete with all logs. 980tt airframe no accident history or corrosion. Razorback in good condition.. Out of annual and not flown in a LONG time. 0-300 engine. Changed oil, check screen no metal, put fresh fuel fired up. Good oil pressure, held good temp, good mag check, no leaks. Ran compression's, 73,76,76,78,72,78. Scoped a cylinder no signs of corrosion. 0-300 runs excellent, showing good vitals. Tossed on running this engine or looking deeper into it simply because it sat a long time?? I feel comfortable flying this engine or would possibly consider looking into another. Kinda tossed. If i did decide to find a fresh motor would it be cost beneficial to upgrade to different engine/horsepower "210" ..or go ahead and spend the dollars on the original 0-300? My IA and "most" pilot friends say start the annual/100 hour inspection process, get fly worthy, and fly it. I got into this Maule reasonable and its in my interest to keep investments reasonable/practical. If there is such a thing with airplanes. Other thing is Im a low hour "200" pilot. Most time built in our 182. Have no logged tailwheel time. Is Maule specific instruction necessary for me or can I get my tailwheel time in sufficiently with my local instructors. Im in southern Missouri and do not know of any Maule owners nor Maule specific instructors. I suppose I've set myself up for ridicule with the broad questions I've asked but remain interested in other experienced Maule Pilot's opinions. Thank You Troy
Maule#19

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Congrats on getting one of the best looking Maules ever made, I love the round tails! I would fly that rig some before worrying about anything, find out what you main mission is. If you want to do any off-airport/short fields then you will need a motor, but you can start looking for a fwf from a 210 or 220 M4. Just do an oil analysis after you run it 50 hrs or so to see if you are making metal from a rusty cam or lifters. Look up Rick Geiger at Montana by air, he is a great Maule instructor.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Sounds like a nice bird.

On training: Most insurance discussions I have seen on the site report that the companies require a certain number of hours of instruction from a CFI who has "X" hours time in type and type...any of the M series, i.e. tail wheel.

TD

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

troywitte57@gmail.com

Thank you all, your replies were very helpful and so is this website. :) Im certain as i move forward with getting it airworthy that i will have alot of Maule related questions.
I would have to agree m-4 is a nice looking plane with alot of character. The horizontal/vert stab give it a vintage look. The interior looks very high end for its day. The old plane has drawn a great deal of attention at the airport. Ive been blessed to have alot of help and support on this project from a couple of good friends who just happen to be A&P/IA. They are elderly with years of valuable knowledge and wisdom in aviation, they are willing to share with me and i sure am going to listen and respect. :)
Maule#19

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Congrats on the purchase! As said above, fly it like you stole it and recheck the oil for metal. Might do a careful check of all of your hoses as well. They get old.

I had most of my tail wheel time in a Citibria and found the Maule to be easier to handle on the ground. Hate heal brakes... Build some time with an instructor. It will fly fine (you will like it better than the 182 except for the power) but bang out lots of landings. You will probably need a few hours with an instructor for insurance anyway so be patient and have fun!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

welcome,,, and congrats on the new purchase.... fly the hell out of it... later when you feel comfortable and haven't ground looped :roll: and you save a few bucks you might want to look for a io 360 or franklin but if you are doing longer strips and airports at not high altitude have fun with it as is...just love my M4
Iceman

ragwing8

Post by ragwing8 »

congrats on the M-4. I am flying serial number 26, and it is fun.
Is yours the one that was for sale in South Texas?

Does it have the original short wings?., If so what do you plan for cruise true airspeed?
63 M-4 "Old number, 26" (now sold and gone to Florida).

troywitte57@gmail.com

Well hello #26. That is too cool. Would love 2 c pics of that m-4 sometime. I need to figure out how to post mine. It is in pieces at the moment. I hope to have it airworthy by winter. No it did not come from Texas. Been a Kansas resident it's whole life. I do not know about the short wings, in fact I don't know a great deal about Maule but learning. The wings are currently off and i think measure about 14' to very end of drooped tips. They added the droop tips years ago. I have wings stripped for painting. I have vg's ordered. I haven't a clue on airspeed or performance of this one with the 0-300 engine, vg's, tips, wings. Can you give me some idea? Or is yours a 220? I have a 3000' grass strip with 50' trees 200-300 yards of end of rw. My hope is to use it there. Thx Troy
Maule#19

ragwing8

Post by ragwing8 »

troywitte57@gmail.com wrote:Well hello #26. That is too cool. Would love 2 c pics of that m-4 sometime. I need to figure out how to post mine. It is in pieces at the moment. I hope to have it airworthy by winter. No it did not come from Texas. Been a Kansas resident it's whole life. I do not know about the short wings, in fact I don't know a great deal about Maule but learning. The wings are currently off and i think measure about 14' to very end of drooped tips. They added the droop tips years ago. I have wings stripped for painting. I have vg's ordered. I haven't a clue on airspeed or performance of this one with the 0-300 engine, vg's, tips, wings. Can you give me some idea? Or is yours a 220? I have a 3000' grass strip with 50' trees 200-300 yards of end of rw. My hope is to use it there. Thx Troy
Mine is the O-300, with original shorter round tip wings. I can count on 103kts. true with just me and full fuel @ 2450 rpms.

It lands faster than the longer wings on the later models, but just about 5 kts.
3000 ft grass should be no problem unless you are at max and high D/A with tall trees and tailwind.
63 M-4 "Old number, 26" (now sold and gone to Florida).