Tail wheel vs tri gear?

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
mburkhart

Tail wheel vs tri gear?

Post by mburkhart »

I'll be honest. I'm a fairly new pilot and am looking into purchasing my first Maule. I have very minimal tail wheel time and am contemplating between the tail wheel version or the tricycle gear. I would love to hear some personal pros and cons about each version and if you had to purchase again what configuration would you buy and why? and if anyone would ever be around the Phoenix area willing to give a demo. That would make my year!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Its an old 'saw', however spend the energy to learn tailwheel and it will make you a more aware and capable pilot.
Taildragger versions have less drag thus a tad faster and lighter thus less mpg and can accommodate large types so can land in softer rougher ground,
IF you want to do that.
Insurance will be a bit more expensive. Especially until you gain some time.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Another facet

Post by chazdevil »

If you have any desire in flying conventional geared aircraft, go tailwheel now. The longer you fly nosedraggers, the harder the transition to TW aircraft. Going from TW to trike is a no-brainer. The insurance metric will punish you if you accumulate lots of trike time and then want to go conventional. I've a hanger neighbor who couldn't practically get insurance in a TW since his 1100 hours were all trike.
Besides, people always think you're a better pilot if you can "master" one of those pesky tail draggers.
HA!
Chaz
79 M5 235Turbo

mburkhart

Post by mburkhart »

I've been told that when you start flying TW that the Maule is not the aircraft to start in while learning to fly TW. Is there any truth to this statement? I would prefer to train in something I'm going to fly in every day. Is the Maule a more unstable platform than other conventional aircraft? I have access to a Cessna 120 and am considering doing a lot of training in that before i hop into a Maule. I have a want to fly conventional gear, I'm just curious as to all the other factors that come with it. I.e., insurance, take offs-landings distances, stability, ground handling, Compared to a tricycle geared Maule. I can imagine that the conventional gear is much more expensive of course for insurance, but also wonderin if there's much of a noticeable difference in all around performance? My main purpose for what I'll be using mine for will mostly be asphalt runways at about 5000ft alt with the occasional short grass strips. But the whole point for me is to get out and explore. Hoping to put a set of AK bush wheels on some day! Everyone can dream right!!!!

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Allegiant Airlines have cheep tickets up this way. Come fly my Maules and see if they are what you want. www.montanabyair.com
Rick 406-949-5709

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

I learned how to fly a TW in a Maule and it was difficult. Before I started with the Maule I had one lesson in a Citabria, I thought it was harder. The Maule was heavier, floated less and settled better. Before the TW I had 400 hours in Cessna 172 and182s. I agree flying the Maule will make you a better pilot, not only in landing but in general flight, especially understanding adverse yaw, cross winds and controlling the plane at low speed close to the ground. If you master landing on pavement grass will seem like a dream and you will seek it out. Bottom line learn how to fly in the Maule and you won't regret it. Find a good instructor who will let you make some mistakes (with in reason) and the experience will be good.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Fly no less than 20hr with an instructor just for safety and practice TO and LAndings the whole time. After that you will be fine. Don't get 2hr of training and start soloing. Always have an instructor for the first 20.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Re: Tail wheel vs tri gear?

Post by LT4247 »

mburkhart wrote:I would love to hear some personal pros and cons about each version,,,,
Qualify:
I bought a new tri gear 235 in 2006. Still have it.
I have time in Maule M4, M6, M7, MXs, and Tri gear models. All with various piston engines, props and turbine.
I still fly both tri and coventional geared Maule aircraft.

Tri/TW Comparison:
- Tri is easier to handle on the ground than TW. It feels really solid. And it pretty much flies the same so you still get the same STOL ability as TW. Aircraft is just configured differently.
- Insurance is less expensive for tri (if you carry it). Lots of TW Maules get wrecked so this drives insurance to higher levels.
- To me, i find the tri gear planes actually have more utility in the SE USA than TW. There are more concrete airports here than grass/dirt opportunities.
- With tri gear you wont be skimming water, landing on river beds, or rocky pastures with holes but it will handle 90% of what TW can do. Same as a Quest Kodiak which is a purpose built tri gear, back country airplane.
- Tri have no problems with little wheel in back to deal with.
- Your wife will love it!

TW/Tri Comparison:
- Conventional gear Maule (both oleo and spring gear) look really good on the ramp. Like an airplane should look! Looks are more important to some than others.
- TW can spin around on a dime in tight places on the ground. Tri not so much
- TW Maule are more fun to taxi, take off and land IF you keep it straight. It doesnt forgive sloppy directional control (see wrecks mentioned above).
- TW will make you a better pilot regardless of what you fly. You will be more aware of direction control, wind, V speeds, etc.
- TW have more useful load and less drag than tri gears
- TW have better balance. Tri, especially 6 cyl, is a nose heavy beast!!
- TW are able to accept big tires and bigger selection of props.
- TW Maule have the main gear forward, out of the way.
- TW cowlings come off/on easier than tri. 3 blade prop on a tri is a true pita to get off and on.
- TW dont have a nose gear to service.

Note: Learn to fly both TW and Tri gear properly. You can end up on your back with a tri gear as easily as a ground loop in the TW.

Tri gear ownership experience:
If you own or fly a tri gear you will soon encounter the rude TW owner or pilot who feels superior to you and your ugly airplane. You will hear such as:

- "cant fly a real airplane? One without training wheels?"
- "your airplane sure is ugly with that nose wheel to protect the prop"
- "Hey, go back to factory and get the wheel in right place".

I could go on and on. These people think they are real funny and get a big bang out of ridiculing you. In reality it is just silly and rude. Something to be endured. Now if you are sensitive to this kind of thing, get a TW and learn to fly it well.

Hope this helps answer some questions for you. I am certain i left something out and someone here with more experience will be along to add more.
Would i buy another Tri Gear? You betcha!!!
Good luck with your Maule search.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

mburkhart

Post by mburkhart »

montana maule wrote:Allegiant Airlines have cheep tickets up this way. Come fly my Maules and see if they are what you want. www.montanabyair.com
Rick 406-949-5709
What would be the closest AirPort to you that allegiant flies into?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Dissenting opinion here from a nosewheel pilot.

The Trigear will go almost everywhere the TW will go.

Unless you plan on going balls out in some very challenging and potentially dangerous areas the TG will do everything that the TW will do.

Also, even the best pilots groundloop TW planes. Yes it is possible to loop a TG but it would take a series of monumental acts. The TG is inherently stable on the ground. A TD is not.

The (up to) $1,000 a year in insurance difference does not take long to add up.

You lose about 5 MPH and some bragging rights but if your ego can live with that a TG is a fine choice.

My advise is to be more concerned about the POWER than the configuration. Much of the STOL ability and performance and capability and safety and the places that can be accessed are predicated on the power not the location of the third wheel.

I recommend 235 HP if you can afford it.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

MrHRC

Post by MrHRC »

I recommend dual nose wheel! :D
When all else fails... Try again.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Oh yeah!!! :lol: :lol:
MrHRC wrote:I recommend dual nose wheel! :D
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

mburkhart

Post by mburkhart »

Mountain Doctor wrote:Dissenting opinion here from a nosewheel pilot.

Unless you plan on going balls out in some very challenging and potentially dangerous areas the TG will do everything that the TW will do.

Also, even the best pilots groundloop TW planes. Yes it is possible to loop a TG but it would take a series of monumental acts. The TG is inherently stable on the ground. A TD is not.

You lose about 5 MPH and some bragging rights but if your ego can live with that a TG is a fine choice.

My advise is to be more concerned about the POWER than the configuration. Much of the STOL ability and performance and capability and safety and the places that can be accessed are predicated on the power not the location of the third wheel.

I recommend 235 HP if you can afford it.[/quote

I notice and see a lot of talk about the 235s. I don't see a lot of talk about the 210 C? Why is that? Is the continental not as reliable? It still seems that it would have ample power compared to a 160 or 180. Any opinions on a M5-210C? One of the few I'm looking at is that.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

MrHRC wrote:I recommend dual nose wheel! :D
I love it!!!

Expanding a bit more on my earlier sleep messaging post earlier, don't take tailwheels for granted. I managed to ground loop my brand new (to me) M4 in the first 3 or so hours. This kept me from flying for several years for multiple reasons. Largely because I didn't have insurance and at the time could not afford to repair the plane. I have her back flying now and promised myself I would not fly alone (solo) until I had 20hrs. My new instructor tried to kick me out on my own within 2hrs but I said no. So he gladly took my cash for about 18.5 hours until I said OK. It was the best thing I could have done as I found myself getting squirrelly a few times and he helped my verbally get control again. Otherwise I might have balled it up again.

I contemplated getting a nose gear plane a year or so after my accident but I stuck with it and finished rebuilding my plane. I am glad I did because Tail Wheels are a ton of fun for what I want to do. But I do seek out grass everywhere I go.

That said I am interested in getting back in a nose wheel to feel that sensation again. And if I flew for travel sake I would likely go for a nose wheel, hell if it was for travel I would not own a Maule. I would love a Velocity or similar for travel. Maybe next year I will pony up for one but for now I am loving my TW Maule even after balling it up on the runway.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

mburkhart wrote:
Mountain Doctor wrote:Dissenting opinion here from a nosewheel pilot.

I recommend 235 HP if you can afford it.[/quote

I notice and see a lot of talk about the 235s. I don't see a lot of talk about the 210 C? Why is that? Is the continental not as reliable? It still seems that it would have ample power compared to a 160 or 180. Any opinions on a M5-210C? One of the few I'm looking at is that.

Don't forget the 220C Franklin. They can actually be cheaper to own and operate than the others. Parts are not really as much of an issue these days.