Appraisals vs book vs actual value

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just for reference, I am 6'5" and 265lbs. I find my M4 to be suitable but of course bigger would be better. I am used to driving cramped european military vehicles though so I guess I'm used to smaller cockpits.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Av8rPaul, the thin conforfoam seat cushions are more comfortable than the old style 4 and 5" foam as they contour to fit the body, so are an advantage.
The later style seats have a slightly higher back, are stronger and have a longer base allowing more legroom though there is a tiny bit of weld work needed to adapt new seat to old airframe.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Av8rPaul

Post by Av8rPaul »

maules.com wrote:Av8rPaul, the thin conforfoam seat cushions are more comfortable than the old style 4 and 5" foam as they contour to fit the body, so are an advantage.
The later style seats have a slightly higher back, are stronger and have a longer base allowing more legroom though there is a tiny bit of weld work needed to adapt new seat to old airframe.
You're a great proponent for Maule aircraft Jeremy!

I'll have to go find a newer model with the thin seats and try it out again. I really have to have comfort for my wife and I as we'll be doing a lot of vacationing in the bird...she fortunately is half my size.

I won't give yet...just need to find a thin seat to sit in.

Jeremy...I sent you a PM

Av8rPaul

Going another direction...

Post by Av8rPaul »

After much thought, I've decided to order a Bearhawk quick build kit and do it the way I want.

Like the Maules a lot but I've test flown the Bearhawk and I fit well, plus I've wanted to build or rebuild an airplane for a long time.

MrHRC

Post by MrHRC »

If you want to fly- buy a flying aircraft.
If you want to build one - get a kit.
These are two completely different hobbies.
When all else fails... Try again.

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

MrHRC wrote:If you want to fly- buy a flying aircraft.
Separated by years. Trust me, I know.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

Av8rPaul

Post by Av8rPaul »

I'll have it flying in about 12 months from the time I start the QB kit. I'm slightly skilled and my build partner is an A&P/IA who has built and rebuilt many airplanes in Alaska for decades. Plus I'm home about 15 days a month which helps a ton.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Av8rPaul wrote:
I'll have it flying in about 12 months from the time I start the QB kit. I'm slightly skilled and my build partner is an A&P/IA who has built and rebuilt many airplanes in Alaska for decades. Plus I'm home about 15 days a month which helps a ton.
That is an extraordinarily ambitious schedule for a plane build, but it has been done before, so more power to you! I honestly think of the Bearhawks (the four place ones anyway) as being in the extended Maule family, so I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

Av8rPaul

Post by Av8rPaul »

Andy Young wrote:
Av8rPaul wrote:
That is an extraordinarily ambitious schedule for a plane build, but it has been done before, so more power to you! I honestly think of the Bearhawks (the four place ones anyway) as being in the extended Maule family, so I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.
Thanks Andy, I certainly will share progress!

Av8rPaul

Post by Av8rPaul »

Well my company is in the process of a big merger and I might be moving so I've put my Bearhawk on hold. I still have a deposit with AviPro so I'm going to look for a certified aircraft to fly until I know where I'm going.