Pre-purchase inspection considerations

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
multimauler

Pre-purchase inspection considerations

Post by multimauler »

I have put a deposit down on an 87' M6-235. I will be having the pre-buy inspection done this week. I would love opinions on what you guys feel are important "Maule specific" things we should look for that even a good A&P may not be aware of who is not familiar with the brand.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

A good prepurchase of any aircraft should include a thorough logbook review coupled with a copy of the CD from OKC on the bird to compare entries with 337, etc. It'll give you a good idea of where she has been and what she has been through. Takes a week or two to get the Cd but I feel it is worth it.

Others here bill give you a better idea of the Maule specific stuff.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

1. Check the horizontal stablizer support strut mounting stubs (on the fuselage) for corrosion. Requires removing the struts, but worth the trouble, as its a known problem area, and requires welding and fabric work to fix.

2. Check the mufflers very carefully for cracks, particularly small ones in the various flanges that the heater sheet metal attaches to.

3. If you have the dual (both in one housing) mag, check to see if its been serviced recently. Its required every 500 hours, and can get expensive if things are worn out.

4. Check for corrosion in the frame tubes under the floor, particularly if the fiberglass insulation is still in there. You really should go to the trouble of pulling up the whole floor.

5. Loosen the top landing gear oleo attach bolts, and spin them to be sure they are not bent. Check to see if these and the lower bolts are NAS-type.
If they are standard AN hardware, you'll want to plan on replacing them with NAS-type, whether they are bent or not.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Download all SBs and SLs from mauleairinc.com site, that pertain to tha model Maule, then check that all have been attended to in some manner.
Pancake type older fuel tanks crack so check for fuel weeping under tanks.
Check aileron routing as if loose at anytime a cable can get up over the rear strut rear attach strap.
Check cracks on oil cooler flange and hanging Y bracket on O540s
Check track of landing gear.
Check aircraft has been operated with front baffles in UP position. Wear marks on baffle will give indication.
There are many many points to look at.
ie., look at everything if you want perfection, which because of natural wear and vibration is almost impossible to achieve.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

Thank you guys. Those are exactly the kind of specifics that I am looking for. I don't log in and post a lot of things but I visit this site regularly. I appreciate you guys willingness to take time to make such valuable and knowledgeable posts.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

If it's a spring gear make sure SL #66 has been complied with before using the plane.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

pretty mauled

Pre purchase consideration M5

Post by pretty mauled »

Good afternoon , having read through the Forum, may I ask if any other M5 210C specific " watch out for " or "beware of" or "just stay away from" info can be given by the Senior Maule guys ( and Girls). Prebuy inspection in my case starts tomorrow. The Engine as you know is a Continental io360. 1880 h. As newbee and a Maule becoming my first Aircraft, I would really appreciate your input.
Maule and other Landrover Parking only

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Maule specific stuff would matter on the plane and where it was stored somewhat. If stored outside I would look at wooden stringers under the windows and belly stringer. Also lower longerons near the tail. Rudder bar, brake master cyl attach points, old notched master cyls vs. new parker ones, sealed wing struts vs. non-sealed - on the engine consider maintenance records and possibility of overhaul/crank replacement in the near future. Rotate (spin) gear and oleo bolts to see if they are bent and check for nas vs. an bolts, oleo springs could be old square style and need upgrading, check rudder and stab pins/bushings and also door bolts/latches for slack. Check bottom of door tubing for rust holes in lowest points. Also make sure the muffler bearings have been greased and the power steering and blinker fluid is full.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

pretty mauled

Post by pretty mauled »

Thanks a lot for replying. Aircraft has always been stored / Well Looks like. Blinker Fluid appears frozen these days . ( with snow in Wyoming).
How do you discern between inspection and newer struts. And any way to understand the status of the crankshaft other than disassembling it?. The Aircraft sits on the non oleo gear. 😅

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Muffler bearing is this an upgrade item to stop the cracking? :wink:
The best Government, is less Government.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

All M5's are on Oleo gear. Oleo springs need updating. Oleo bolts need updating.
Late type sealed struts have two weld nodules at upper end covered by fairing.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

maules.com wrote: Late type sealed struts have two weld nodules at upper end covered by fairing.
Yep, and if you take that end loose and blow in the bolt hole it does not sound like an empty moonshine jug!
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

pretty mauled

Post by pretty mauled »

Thanks guys , please keep on commenting like that, I shall blow that trumpet today

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Re: Pre purchase consideration M5

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

pretty mauled

Post by pretty mauled »

Well you see it took some time to recover from the punch in the belly, aircraft will be mine soon, your recs have been taken into consideration though, as one said an aircraft is worth what seller and buyer can agree on, in this case this led to a new engine overhaul with the overall cost reflecting the general cost for such aircraft.thanks everyone for their input, all points were considered so far. But you may continue. Else I am looking forward to good years of fun flying to come. That is once Ihave my tailwheel endorsement;-) any suggestions on that? Either in Colorado or Northern Florida.l[/url]