Transponder time

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Transponder time

Post by gbarrier »

Well perhaps yes, perhaps no. My old KT76A is working fine and it's a long way till 2020. But I do have the itch, it's time to recertify, and might can use the old unit elsewhere if I do it now.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Trig unit. So, do I buy the Trig TT31, the King KT74 or the Avidyne AXP340 unit all manufactured by Trig. The Avidyne is overpriced and the King is a few dollars higher than the Trig so that should settle it but not so fast. Squawk code entry for the TT31 seems like it would take a while turning a knob and pushing a button for each digit. For the King you just push four buttons and you're done.

So I ask, is anyone out there using either unit and how do you like them.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

If you have a nice 76A with mode c, it should still be worth $1k from the looks of things. Whatever you get needs to be one of those extended squitter jobs so it will be future ready whether you go to ads-b now or later.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I paired the King 74 with a Garmin 530w works well as far as I can tell and since I had a King 76 there was nothing new to learn.

Edit: You have to have WASS capability in a panel mounted GPS as I understand it.
The best Government, is less Government.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Gary, I'm waiting for the Appareo ESG to get certified, which is supposed to happen sometime this year. It's a drop-in replacement for the KT 76A so no panel modifications are necessary (installation cost reduction). It incorporates ADS-B-Out to meet the 1/1/2020 FAA requirement using 1090ES so you can use it outside the USA. It includes a WAAS GPS module as a position source so you don't need to upgrade your panel GPS if it isn't WAAS capable (like my situation). It uses your existing transponder antenna for the ADS-B (installation cost reduction) although you still have to install a GPS antenna on the wing if your panel GPS isn't WAAS capable. It has a front panel jack to connect the Stratus 2 ADS-B-In receiver for power and signal that allows better ADS-B ground station reception via the external transponder antenna. Best of all the purchase cost is around $3,300. I'm estimating 8 hours of installation time at $100/hour = $800.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Andy I like that unit also but I have WAAS from my Garmin and I'm happy with my stratus II stand alone so I can save a few bucks with the King or Trig.

VA Maule, I should have looked closer at your panel at BQ1. Are you happy with the push buttons. Any problem getting your fingers on the right ones in rough air?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Gbarrier: like I said no issues for fit in panel or use ( even with my awkward 5 thumbed hands) :wink:
Hopefully we'll get together again sooner rather then later and you can fondle the panel if you'd like .

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Thanks. Looking forward. And bring your lovely lady. I promise to fondle only your panel.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Just looked at the approved model list for the Trig and the KT74 with ADS-B. They are the same as the STC for the ADS-B is provided for both by the folks who provide the air/ground switch. Now, with 700 models listed and airplanes from Aerostar to Waco even including some homebuilts there is no mention of a Maule. Wonder where that leaves us.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Give Jason Morefeild a call at Virginia Aviation 4three4niner42343six he installed mine in one day including 2lbs of paperwork and a neat little sticker for the logbook

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Thanks, I'll call him. Did you do the ADS-B also.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Yes with a Garmin 530w