Generic CS prop questions

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
TXGR

Generic CS prop questions

Post by TXGR »

As part of an engine swap, I am moving up to a CS prop. The prop model will be the McCauley 2A34C201/90 -10. I've found a few -8 props (82") overhauled and others not overhauled.

Comparing them is not as straight forward as I was hoping. A good used one for $2600 needs an overhaul. The last overhaul was in 1990 and a tech at a prop shop told me to budget between $2500 and $3500 for the overhaul because more than likely there are a number of parts that need to be updated since 1990.

I also found a very recently overhauled prop, -8, for $5800.

I need the prop to be -10, so 80". Is cutting down the blades practical or do I need to plan on replacing them (assuming they otherwise meet spec)? Is cutting down expensive? Or, do I have to swap the blades?

Not surprisingly, McCauley updated a number of components since 1990. Am I just looking for the latest blade version, or are there significant differences, e.g. known issues with a certain blade model?

This is for a Franklin 180 (6A-335-B1) and is an upgrade for the specified prop (2A31C21). Yes, this will require a field approval. I am already talking to the FSDO about that.

Separate question, the governor specified for the engine is the Woodward 210453. Since I am changing the prop can I or should I look for a different governor?

The McCauley governor C290D7 is used on the Franklin 220 (6A-350-C1), so would that physically work on a F180?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Any prop shop should be able to cut the blades down, easily done for them. Guessing the governor should work on your engine, suggest you contact Southern Aero to answer that and look at parts manual, TCDS.

I just finished my field approval for the same prop with 82" blade, can't wait to fly with it.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Any prop shop will trim blades down for you. For compatable governor, the prop TCDS will tell you what will work. Instead of overhauling prop, you can request that shop just make serviceable. They will tear down and only replace parts ON CONDITION, and generally can have this done for about 1/3 the price, like $3000 vs $1000. Same teardown, same look at internals, but they don't just replace everything required in an overhaul...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

TXGR

Thanks

Post by TXGR »

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Cheers,
Brian