Recent going rate for an M4-220C and MI members...

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
PaulMaul

Post by PaulMaul »

Hey Garrett,

Thanks for the info! It's amazing that you still remember those details from 4 years ago...

Can you tell from the photos on BS whether the "squat" still exists?

(I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put a link to the ad here, but I'll do it anyway :P )

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_ima ... f03841a48f

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The squat can show for many reasons, not all negative.
If the pilot swivels the plane around to park it, the gear will spread.
Because of the geometry of the gear action, the wheels will come together when pushed forward and spread apart when pulled backward. Toe In is the reason. Weak oleo springs and/or excessive toe in will exacerbate this condition.
The heavier the engine, the more the spread will show up.
Landing gear legs will become twisted over time especially if the oleo springs are of the old style and /or are 'tired', as the oleo is angled rearward and is attached well inboard of the A frame to axle attach point, thus with weakened springs and many harder landings the axle is pulled rearward inboard of fulcrum thus outboard axle portion which carries the wheel moves forward causing ToeIn.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

n2020u

Post by n2020u »

maules.com wrote:The squat can show for many reasons, not all negative.
If the pilot swivels the plane around to park it, the gear will spread.
Because of the geometry of the gear action, the wheels will come together when pushed forward and spread apart when pulled backward. Toe In is the reason. Weak oleo springs and/or excessive toe in will exacerbate this condition.
The heavier the engine, the more the spread will show up.
Landing gear legs will become twisted over time especially if the oleo springs are of the old style and /or are 'tired', as the oleo is angled rearward and is attached well inboard of the A frame to axle attach point, thus with weakened springs and many harder landings the axle is pulled rearward inboard of fulcrum thus outboard axle portion which carries the wheel moves forward causing ToeIn.
Perfect explanation, thanks. However, when I saw the airplane last, the gear was VERY spread out. I would guess the wheels were both 110-120 degrees to the horizon when viewed from the front! I assume to get that much deflection out of the gear on the ground the springs must have been worn out or the lading gear itself has WAY too much toe-in/toe-out?

Garrett
Garrett

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

PaulMaul wrote:I found these in the NTSB database. The owner alluded to the second incident when I inquired about why the engine had a major overhaul at 560 hours on the airframe, but he didn't mention the prop strike, and he didn't mention the first incident at all...

I'd like to know what repairs were made when the plane struck a tree...:shock:

#FAA1
Accident/Incident Occurred on: 1985-06-21
Narrative: STRUCK A TREE ON FINAL AFTER ENCOUNTERING A DOWNDRAFT. IMPACTED GROUND BESIDE RUNWAY. SOME THRESHOLD LIGHTS OUT.

#FAA2
Accident/Incident Occurred on: 2005-08-15
Narrative: (-23) ON AUGUST 15, 2005, PILOT IN COMMAND ^PRIVACY DATA OMITTED^ WAS OPERATING N102MD, A MAULE M-4 AIRCRAFT, ON A PERSONAL PLEASURE FLIGHT FROM DAY AIRPORT (6H4), JACKSON, MICHIGAN TO METROPOLITAN AIRPORT (UMP), INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA. AT ABOUT ELWOOD, INDIANA THE PILOT ENCOUNTERED DRIZZLING RAIN, AND LOWERING CEILING AND VISIBILITY. THE PILOT STATED THAT HE WAS VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE AREA HAVING TRAVELED THE SAME ROUTE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS. HE SAID HE KNEW THAT HE WAS IN THE ELWOOD AREA AND THAT THERE WAS A SOD FIELD AIRPORT IN THE AREA. THE PILOT ^PRIVACY DA^ SAID THAT HE MADE A VISUAL SCAN OF THE AREA AND SAW BELOW HIM WHAT APPEARED TO BE A LANDING FIELD. IT WAS A NARROW STRIP OF FIELD BETWEEN A CORN FIELD AND A SOY BEAN FIELD. HE LANDED WITHOUT INCIDENT BUT DURING THE LATTER PART OF THE ROLLOUT HE ENCOUNTERED A DITCH WHICH COLLAPSED THE LANDING GEAR AND BENT ONE PROPELLER TIP.
I'm the new owner of 102MD, and I appreciate everyone's input in this thread :) In my research, it appears as though the N number was assigned to this aircraft several years after (1997) the tree strike incident mentioned above, BUT there was some incident (maybe searchable under the old N number, 7622E) where the aircraft ended up on it's back. There are a couple of transactions in the early '90's where the price seems to reflect the aircraft was more of a project than a flying aircraft.

At any rate, I'm confident that the repairs were made correctly and the airplane is rigged straight. I had a friend pick it up for me, and it's being stored in a hangar until I can bring it home to Oregon. There should be some good flying to be had this summer 8)

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Congrats !! Whereabouts in oregon will it live??

100+ Posts

Sunriver :)

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

WELL WHEN THE SNOW MELTS, I WILL HAVE TO COME AND SEE IT !

DAN

100+ Posts

Sounds good! The runway here is usable, but the plane isn't here yet :D

Kelly

Av8rPaul

Post by Av8rPaul »

Congrats on the new bird, looks great! Our oldest son and daughter in law live in Sisters, that's some great country.

100+ Posts

Awesome :) I think we'll end up in Sisters in a few years. I love Central Oregon, but right about now I'm missing the sun! I've only gotten to fly one day since Thanksgiving, and need to take my Stinson to my A&P for a compression check before I list it for sale.

Kelly

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Post the details on that Stinson when your ready. A couple of guys at work talk about buying a plane. I point them at Maule but they whine about fuel or costs or something. Made be they will take the plunge.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

100+ Posts

Will do, but I have two potential buyers lined up already. If those fall through, I'll put it on Barnstormers :)