M6-235 purchase advice

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

That's lekker news boet, hopefully it suits your needs. Have fun learning how to fly it and send pictures of your journey.
RR
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

Hello all. So my Dad and I went to see the Maule. She is at the A&P having the annual done, and was not as close to being finished as what we were led to believe. I was hoping to do my conversion and fly her home. It was good to see under the cowlings though and obviously the rest of the aircraft. She has aged a little more than I remember and could do with a good cleaning and some attention. Mechanically she is sound.

One thing that was raised was the hours to OH. I was initially told there were about 360hrs to go to OH but after chatting with the A&P, and producing the logbooks, it seems there are only about 180hrs to go. Am a little disappointed.

However, I did meet with Chris, and after a long chat over a few beers we still think the aircraft has good value. In $ terms, she is for sale for $39000 which, judging by whats in the market is a good price. There is no doubt that she is a little rough around the edges cosmetically, old paint on the wings, a crack or 2 in the paint on the fabric, but nothing that would stop her from flying.

I would appreciate a few of your views and any input.

TomD
100+ Posts

new plane

Post by TomD »

If the compression checks well, there is no ruling that says you have to overhaul the engine at 2000 hrs as long as you don't fly it for compensation. However, you need to start putting your spare change in the jar to pay for the overhaul which would bring the price closer to $60k+

As long as all the squawks are cosmetic you can fly it for quite awhile before having to pop for a recover. More spare change in the jar for that.

End of the day, you are going to have to decide if it is the plane you want and if you can deal with the expenses in the future.

TD

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

The compressions were:

Cylinder 1/71 2/72 3/76 4/75 5/70 6/70

With what I have read and understand these compressions are still very acceptable.

However, unfortunately here in Sourh Africa, despite flying only part 91 and without compensation, our CAA still mandates and overhaul when the engine reaches the manufacturers TBO. We don't enjoy the same forward thinking way the FAA does allowing the engine to continue operating beyond TBO and on condition. I have already worked out that I will need to set aside about $90/hr for the remaining 180 or so hours to account for the OH.

I would still very very much like to own the Maule. Will probably make a final decision today between my Dad, myself and the current owner.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

it sounds like the discrepancy on the engine hours gives you more room to negotiate the price. That way you effectively have more funds available for a new engine.
For what it's worth, I bought a plane with less than 200 to go to TBO but the purchase price reflected the high time engine.
I started a fund right away and plan to fly past TBO as long as everything checks out.
Good luck.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Those compressions look fine, especially if the motor has been sitting.

'We don't enjoy the same forward thinking way the FAA does allowing the engine to continue operating beyond TBO and on condition.'

LOL! This may be an exception but I think hardly any of us consider the FAA 'forward thinking;!

Indeed, they are more on the lines of 'thinking resistant'. :roll:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

No extensions of any kind in our third world country, our sacaa is really "special"

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

So I did some more reading through our regulations, technical standards and a service instruction from Lycoming. Our CAA would allow a TBO extension, by 100hrs on the condition that the engine had been operated 40hrs every month since its installation and that ONLY genuine Lycoming parts had been used during the previous overhaul. Sadly, this Maule does not meet either of those conditions.

My forward thinking FAA comment was based on the FAA at least allowing on condition overhaul for part 91 owners as apposed to the random number of 2000hrs stipulated by the manufacturer.

What I have learnt through this reading though is that owner pilots are able to do a lot more owner maintenance than I realised. I guess you chaps in the USA are a lot more accustomed to that than we are here in South Africa. Here, we drop off the plane at the AMO and wait for his call to say come collect, bring your check book... :lol:

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Understood.

The most important tool in my toolbox is the checkbook. :roll:

For me, it's fun and important and valuable to spend time working on the plane with a mechanic but the way I see it I get paid more in an hour than the mechanic costs me so to miss work to fix the plane is false economy.

I do my own tires, oil changes, mag timing, spark plugs, brakes and all that stuff.

I need to be more grateful the FAA sometimes thinks the risk/benefit/cost thing through at least a little bit on some things. Legally flying past TBO is one of those things.

I'll run my engine as long as it isn't making metal and the oil analysis is decent. The numbers on the clock are less relevent.

Wish I could say the same about my body. :P
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

I have seen that the Maule does not have elevator gap seals. Is it not MEANT to have them as per the data sheet? I plan to get a set anyway along with Micro Aero VG's.

I would also like to replace the starboard side rear passenger window. It has a crack in it from the fresh air vent.

The interior needs a good clean.

TomD
100+ Posts

Gap seals

Post by TomD »

Jeremy or Tim can correct me, but I think everything from M5 onwards can or do have gap seals. Huge bang for the buck or Rand.

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

So it's done!!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... NJSKOBDyQQ

I am now a Maule Owner of said M6. I am so excited and pleased. Her registration is ZS-LLV. Have dubbed her, "lekker lekker vliegtuig" translated from Afrikaans, nice nice aeroplane. Will wait and see if anybody comes up with something better.

There is a small issue with the EDM 700 display which is being repaired. I will probably add a fuel flow sensor and link it to the Garmin 296 GPS already installed. Would you chaps suggest the oil temp being displayed as well? It doesn't have this option at the moment.

Also, will order gap seals and VG's right away. Have also thought of forward patrol doors and new style door latches.

Now I just need to get home and do my conversion and tailwheel endorsement.

Can't wait.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Heel mooi!

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Congrats on the new mistress. I like know the oil temp both hot and cold so I would add it. I have ordered the swing out windows and new style latches today myself. keep us posted
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Congratz.. welcome to the family.