M6-235 purchase advice

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

A huge congrats 'ou maat'. I vote for the oil temp, it's nice to know the exact number for winter ops. The old gauges don't tell you anything meaningful.

Now wake up those jet feet and go fly the snot outta that thing! :lol:
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Spot on Rezrider , fly the thing until you are the boss

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

Thanks guys.

I appreciate all the feedback and assistance. Now I just need to fly the old girl
1983 M6-235C

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Am back at work in Nigeria. Sadly, work pay for little planes, but flying big planes is pretty lekker too.

I started my conversion on Friday morning. Loved it. Flew across to a small strip that has a nice wide grass runway and did 15 touch and goes - all 3 pointers. Wind was not kind to me, slightly across the runway, but it all went well and after a while I actually started making acceptable touchdowns. Stopped for a break. Flew back to where the plane is based at the moment and there just did a full stop landing. Wind was worse, 90Deg across and ended up just off the tarmac left of the runway. Thankfully no ground loop. I have now learnt why everybody says the 6's ailerons are a little ineffective. Will VG's (already shipped) make a big difference?

Next morning, did another sortie. Flew across to another field, more touch and goes this time wheelers. Again, more wind, so it was a challenge. Didn't feel as comfortable as what I did with the 3 pointers. Read in the POH afterwards that 0 flap is recommended. Will try this next time, and trust it works better.

All in all - I bloody loved it. The challenge was great and am enjoying it tremendously. After now flying her, I have a few questions but will search here first to see if my questions have been asked already.

Cant wait to get home again to fly her some more.
Last edited by Jayson v Schalkwyk on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 M6-235C

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

VGs will help in aileron, elevater and flap authority on your droop tip M6
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

That's great to hear Jeremy, thank you. Are Maule Inc slow to respond to parts orders? I placed the order for gap seals early december and have still not had confirmation from them.

Jeremy, also, are there recommended flap speeds for the different stages? or is any flap setting in the white arc acceptable at all speeds?
1983 M6-235C

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule is poor at responding to left messages or emails.
Voice contact with Bryan in parts or the dept you need is the only effective way to go.
Common sense rules re flap loading, though the POH says 90mph that's way too fast for more than 24* so MAX speeds of 80mph 40* and 70mph 48* makes more sense to protect the system even though there is a strain safety bungee cartridge installed, or should be.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Jeremy said:
VGs will help in aileron, elevater and flap authority on your droop tip M6
+1

I installed MicroVG's on my M5 and it really improved the low speed control.

Have fun. Pointy end forward !

8)

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

At home in Himeville, South Africa
1983 M6-235C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Welcome to the family of Maule owners. Fuel flow, CHT, EGT, RPM, voltage and oil temp are the sensors that I use the most on my EDM-800. They are all way more accurate than the standard gauges that come with the Maule. I think vortex generators make a world of difference in slow speed handling. Elevator gap seals are a must. The other thing that made a huge difference for me in landing stability was replacing the Maule tailwheel with a ABI 3224A.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

I have the gap seals and VG's, just need to get them fitted. I have already mounted Rosen sun visors.

I bought the Maule with a Scott 3200 tailwheel on, but after having the lower tailwheel spring break I am borrowing a Maule tailwheel and spring set until I get another spring set.
1983 M6-235C