Maule purchase questions - fabric/engine

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
MontanaBird

Maule purchase questions - fabric/engine

Post by MontanaBird »

I've been considering purchase of a very nice, well kept '75 M5 210C. However my IA/AP (who is of top notch experience/knowledge) expressed concerns about a couple things; one was that it has the original Razorback on it which he feels would be best replaced with newer material, and the eventual unusually high overhal cost of it's IO-360. He's leaning towards hanging back and picking up a nice, newer 180hp bird. And when he speaks, I do listen.

However, thoughts appreciated from those that have been there before. Thank you.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I would ask why the fabric needs to be replaced - did it test bad or perhaps there are underlying issues? You can expect about $25,00 for a ball park figure on that.

Also what is so unusual about a conti io-360 overhauling cost, and why does it need overhaul - I don't see where it is a big difference.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

MontanaBird

Post by MontanaBird »

Thank you pilot. Yuor thoughts are right on.

I believe he was concerned with the frequent appearance of ringworm/cosmetic issues even in well taken care of Razorback, and the fact that it's just kind of heavy as related to newer materials. He also felt $25k was about right for a recover, and didn't want me to potentially have to fork that out when on other planes of equivalent cost, its a non-issue if they have newer material. But no real issues seem to exist with the current material that i know of.

Also, the engine is low time and appears to be fine, but if you do compare the OH cost of that engine vs. others, whenever that may happen, it's surprisingly costly (and...he's done a few). Recognizing that if it goes to TBO I will likely be a very old aviator, i think it has 1,200 hrs left on it.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

For me it would depend heavily on the cost of the aircraft. I have a 73 and the razorback is in very good shape. The only issue that really doesn't bother me to bad is the wood stringers have folded over on the belly. I believe if hangared and taken care of Razorbacks selling point was lifetime fabric. Can't speak on the overhaul cost of the engine. Good luck.