First plane

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Aldfaa

First plane

Post by Aldfaa »

Since this is my first post on this forum- I will make a quick introduction. My real name is Dustin, and I call central Kansas home. I have had a love of aviation all my life, and was very fortunate to gain employment as a lineman at the local airport when I was 16. I worked there through High school, college, and several years beyond.
While working at the airport I earned my Private shortly after turning 17. I attended K-State technical college for A&P certification. Completing all course work, I gained my Airframe, however I regrettably never took the power plant exam. Life went in on and I eventually gained employment as a maintenance tech at a manufacturing plant. Eventually got promoted into management and that’s where I have been for the last 10 years.
Aviation went by the wayside as life happened, but it never fully left my heart. I often thought about the possibility of getting back in and maybe eventually purchase an aircraft. Recently through a friend the opportunity to purchase an aircraft was made available. She is a little rough around the edges, and the last log book entry was in 1991. Supposedly the craft was went through in the early 2000’s to get it flying again but there is no indication of work performed in the logs. She currently sits with 998 tach hours. A deal was made and the craft purchased. My plan is to get recurrent on my private, and seek out tail wheel training. At the same time I have reconnected with an IA and we are slowly working returning it to airworthy condition.

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

Welcome, Dustin! You have made a good choice with the Maule. This forum is packed with great advice and information. Looking forward to hearing of the progress on the plane and your training. I would encourage you to seek a flight instructor with Maule experience. It wil pay dividends.
Congrats and welcome aboard!!
Greg
1980 M5-180C

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

Congrats on the plane Dustin and welcome to the madness. keep us posted on your progress. we love pictures (at least I do....slow reader)
this is a great place to get information on your plane and flying it.

+1 on what BAMAMAULE said, get an experienced Maule Pilot to fly with.

Welcome and have Fun with your Maule

Roamer
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Aldfaa

Post by Aldfaa »

She was based 4 hours away so thought it would be best to remove wings and trailer home. Got her home and placed in the shop.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Look forward to seeing progress! You'll love your M-4.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Sweet,

I see she is the right color also. 8)
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

19th Maule built

Bee Dee M4. Hopefully you can get the N number back.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

OK, you can't cut grass this time of the year. And get that damn boat out of there too. It's time to work on an airplane.

Aldfaa

Post by Aldfaa »

Yes I am looking into what my options are on the N number. It would be awesome to get it reassigned. Hope it can happen.

Aldfaa

Post by Aldfaa »

I hear ya on making room to work on the plane. Spent some time with her over the weekend but it was short lived with this cold weather. Funny thing about the boat, it came from the same guy that I bought the plane from.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Aldfaa wrote:I hear ya on making room to work on the plane. Spent some time with her over the weekend but it was short lived with this cold weather. Funny thing about the boat, it came from the same guy that I bought the plane from.
What's his missus like? ;)

Nice Maule.

Piperpilot

Post by Piperpilot »

Welcome to the group. I joined last month and have learned a lot from some of the most experienced back country pilots in the aviation community. Good luck, sell the boat and a couple Xmark mowers and maybe the baby Mustang car. And the money from the proceeds can make your Maule a real trophy :D Hope to meet you sometime.
I love my Maule
2013 Piper Meridian
2001 Maule MT-7-235
I fly a TBM900 in my dreams
Want a new MT-7-260

PURA VIDA

PatinLoco

Post by PatinLoco »

Congratulations Dustin!! I love projects, and you sure have a beauty there. Can't wait to see pictures of your progress. Enjoy, and welcome to the fun!
Eduardo

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

yeah....welcome. welcome to the loonie bin that is!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Aldfaa

Post by Aldfaa »

Thanks everyone! Hopefully the project will progress without having to sell any of the other "toys" Since owning the boat I have grown use to pouring money into it, I know the plane will be even worse.

Not much progress yet, spent last Sunday building a wing cradle as currently they are sitting on saw horses in the barn. Looking over the engine, I need to replace the carb heat and mixture cables as both are broke. Did look into the cylinders with a bore-a-scope a didn't find any nasty surprises. I need to run all the AD's and compare to what been complied with, but anything post 1990 will have to be dealt with. Also I finally got around to the registration and got the paper work submitted.