First plane

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Aldfaa

Post by Aldfaa »

Received notification that I was able to get the registration number reserved. So great news there. I received the parts DVD in the mail today and spent some time reviewing it. I was hoping it would answer a question but it hasn't yet - What is an approved Battery size for this model?

I didn't see any thing listed on the Type certificate spec'ing battery. Looked in the maintenance manual and aircraft flight manual with no luck either. Nothing seen on the W&B information. Have not found an equipment list for this model (or even know if one exists . Any idea what the battery should be?

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Aldfaa wrote:Thanks everyone! Hopefully the project will progress without having to sell any of the other "toys" Since owning the boat I have grown use to pouring money into it, I know the plane will be even worse.

Not much progress yet, spent last Sunday building a wing cradle as currently they are sitting on saw horses in the barn. Looking over the engine, I need to replace the carb heat and mixture cables as both are broke. Did look into the cylinders with a bore-a-scope a didn't find any nasty surprises. I need to run all the AD's and compare to what been complied with, but anything post 1990 will have to be dealt with. Also I finally got around to the registration and got the paper work submitted.
I have an old style push pull mixture cable that I took out of my plane if you need one.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

firstmaule4

Post by firstmaule4 »

In my m4 220 c the battery is behind baggage area tomorrow will post picture of battery box and battery number in mine not sure it is same for your plane. Make sure you upgrade to the sealed no recurring AD wing struts when putting wings back on this will save you a lot of downtime eliminating the AD for strut inspection.

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

You can request the factory to email you a copy of both equipments lists for the M4. They sent me a copy quick. You need it for your weight and balance paperwork anyways. Enjoy your Maule!

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Aldfaa, If you send me an email at the below addy I can send you a copy of the lastest REL and OEL Monday.

Aldfaa

Post by Aldfaa »

Thankfully the airframe and power plant logs where present but the other paperwork has not been located. Did get a copy of the weight and balance calculations but no equipment lists.

The battery is mounted in a box on the front right side of the firewall.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You can use the Oddysey battery and save 13.5 lbs from standard 35AX
It will fit in same box easily.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

+1 on the Oddesy battery. Not only is it lighter by half, it is less affected by cold and you can mount them in any orientation. Cheaper too.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If original battery and it's a 235, should take a G35 Gil or Concorde. I would suggest if you don't do Odyssey Battery that you install the sealed version of the G35 which eliminates acid leakage and corrosion in battery box area. They are a few bucks more, but worth it in long run... Battery will be listed on your equip list when you get it from Maule.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

GEL all the way!!

Aldfaa

Post by Aldfaa »

Looks like it was originally a Rebat S-24 on the equipment list at 21 lbs.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The Odyssey SBS J16 that I fitted is 14lbs 2oz.
The standard Gill 35M I removed was 27lbs 9oz
So far I have had it in use for 2 yrs, no problems.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide