repainting price?

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Stinger
100+ Posts

repainting price?

Post by Stinger »

So cruising around Barnstormers I found a 1980 M6-235 for sale for $39,000. It was an M5 converted to an M6. The description says the fabric is okay, but has bad paint. How much would it cost to repaint? What about the cost for new fabric and then painting that?

For anyone that's seen the ad (posted on 10-27), is there anything else that you'd be wary of with this plane?

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

Painting a plane is not like an automobile.

If it gets finished in 3 months, you are happy, and no corrosion/wear/abuse problems surface, you have come out ahead of 50% that paint their planes from my limited experience.

Life is short, what is 3-6 months worth to you?

Best wishes to you

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I would be wary of rotten wood stringers and rusted lower longerons in the tail.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

I was told expect about $15k on average for just the paint job. The big thing on the older Maules is the paint cracking, which by the pics in that ad someone has already taken care of (maybe?). When Tim painted my 1985 MX-7 he/we ended up sanding down the entire airplane (just about) to get rid of the cracking paint. It took FOREVER, and that's not a dig against Tim just a statement of the level of labor required to do it right.
Other than that, the plane is almost 75% to TBO so there's that. On the bright side though its got a 3 bladed prop, Patroller doors (which I couldn't do without), VG's and the newer style yokes (not sure what year they switched those over but the old ones are a bit skimpy in my opinion). If you want to get into a Maule on a budget the plane doesn't look bad just expect eventually you'll have to put money into it, but that's the same for ANY plane...
Good luck.

James

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Okay, great to know! It's basically exactly what I'm looking for, M6, 3-blade constant speed, patroller doors. However, I can't really justify buying within the next few months until after I move and get myself more set up for a plane.

Always looking though!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Would assume since it was an upgrade to the M6 wing config that it has the more desirable later M6 control surfaces.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

gbarrier wrote:Would assume since it was an upgrade to the M6 wing config that it has the more desirable later M6 control surfaces.
I didn't realize there was a difference in M6s. Just larger ailerons? Do you know what year that happened?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

The "Update" is the change to the tips and rudder from droop to square (which also includes the aileron) , Can be done at anytime. When the change happened at the factory I don't know for sure.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

That is a nice plane for $39,000. If it has been stored inside you shouldn't have to worry about rusted parts. Looks like somebody put a lot into her.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

M6 control surface changes came about after S/N 7465C. Previous S/Ns may be upgraded by Maule Service Kit 6. Changes ailerons, wing tips, rudder, and includes extension ribs, spar reinforcing plates, new rudder tab cables and a few other things.