New to Maules, M4 vs M5 questions.

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
md11freighter

New to Maules, M4 vs M5 questions.

Post by md11freighter »

20 years ago while flight instructing we had a M5 with the IO360 in the shop for an annual and I always thought they were cool.
I'm in the market for an airplane now, and the M4 and M5 with the IO360 is where I have been concentrating my search on.
I've looked into insurance, I have over 1000 hours of tailwheel (mostly in Beech 18's) with over 10K total time and insurance doesn't seem too bad for living up here in AK.
What are your thoughts on the M4 vs M5s? I know the design differences with the flaps and rudders and was curious if one handles better than the other.
Also is one better than the other for STOL work?

Thanks guys. :D

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I think the M4 looks like a more classic airplane. As long as you compare the "c" models I don't think there is an appreciable difference in mission capability.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Freighter,

The m5 has a slightly larger tail section, both rudder and elevator. It has a larger flap than a stock M4. It is usually heavier than the m4. Those differences seem to offset in the real world. I've had an m4 here in ak for 8 years and have been real happy with it, both wheels and skis. The cargo door makes loading easy. It's one of the better values out there...
Mikew

n2020u

Re: New to Maules, M4 vs M5 questions.

Post by n2020u »

md11freighter wrote:20 years ago while flight instructing we had a M5 with the IO360 in the shop for an annual and I always thought they were cool.
I'm in the market for an airplane now, and the M4 and M5 with the IO360 is where I have been concentrating my search on.
I've looked into insurance, I have over 1000 hours of tailwheel (mostly in Beech 18's) with over 10K total time and insurance doesn't seem too bad for living up here in AK.
What are your thoughts on the M4 vs M5s? I know the design differences with the flaps and rudders and was curious if one handles better than the other.
Also is one better than the other for STOL work?

Thanks guys. :D

Hello,

I have an M-4-220C built in 1968. Your question came at the perfect time. I just finished an engine break-in on a local M-5-220C! Keep in mind though, I have 650hrs in my -4 and only 50hrs on the -5.

Now for the differences; keep in mind this is opinion only....

My M-4 was built in 1968; it has the "round" wing tips, which detract slightly from the overall wing area in comparison to the "droop" tips. I think it's around 10sq. ft. although the Maule Maintenance Manuals don't list any difference. However, Maule M-4's built after 68' or so have the "droop" tip wings and many earlier ones have been retrofitted to the latter. Jeremy can correct any mistakes here BTW :D

ANyways, the M-5 wing has droop tips, longer flaps and smaller ailerons than the M-4 regardless of wing tip styles. My observation is the -5 was able to fly slightly slower than my -4, but only marginally so (three point attitude, 40 degrees flaps, 5mph or less difference in speed). The -5 also had less responsive- aileron authority at slow speeds, but not to the point where I felt uncomfortable. The -5 DEFINITELY weathervanes more in a crosswind with that HUGE tail!

Takeoff, landing distances weren't any different. The -5 has an extra bit of flap area so maybe, if I were a better pilot, would be able to land it slightly shorter than the M-4. The M-5 also has the ability to raise the gross weight to 2,500lbs, so that may be a deciding factor.

Honestly, find one that is in good shape, fits your mission, and that is in your price range; you'll be happy with either.

Have a good one and good luck in your search!

Garrett

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

anyone notice if the 5 is lighter on the rudder control because it's balanced? I'm getting close to having my m5 flying and hoping it is easier on the feet than my m4. I hate taxiing my m4 also. maybe I need a shorter rudder horn or something is wrong with my tailwheel setup.... it's very difficult to spin 180 degrees in a tight circle

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Don't over think it. Doubt rudder horn is wrong size. Sounds like tailwheel is not kicking out.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Are the tailwheel steering springs tight on your M4? There should be some slack in them when the wheel is centered. If not, the tailwheel might not kick out due to too much tension from the opposite spring.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

You can get the longer tailwheel release pawl from ABW to make it kick out sooner.

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

ill swap tailwheels to another gar aero that I know kicks out well and see if that helps.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

Are the bolts installed through the rudder frame and tailwheel yolk?
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

yep, 2 bolts

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1uAd0KSnCc

Go to 4:20 for the pawl explanation. Thank you to Steve Pierce!

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

thank you! awesome video.!

Redhawk
100+ Posts

M4 vs M5

Post by Redhawk »

I own a M4-210C now, and used to own a M6-235. I have not flown a M5, but I can say without a doubt I love how the M4 flys. The M6 with the long wings and small ailerons was much less responsive, and it always felt as if "it was flying me" and not "me flying it"! The 4 feels much more responsive, and I like the classic round tail look. I also recently added extended gear which puts the airframe at a much better attitude for takeoff and landings. If I could change one thing on my -4 it would be more HP for the high altitudes we have here in the Colorado Rockies!