New Member and Questions

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
swixtt

New Member and Questions

Post by swixtt »

hello, i've signed up in hopes to get familiar with Maules and ask a few questions. (looking to buy) i've read what i can already on some of threads so i have a bit more info than i did a few weeks ago. thanks!
is there any sort of 'blue book' for maules?
does anyone know much about the spar splice that was offered a while ago and has since been removed as an offering from maule? what is the view of this sort of repair on a plane? can it be inspected? does it have to be inspected post fix? this is from a loop incident of course.
appreciate any feedback for a green maule guy.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

All the standard 'Blue Books' cover the Maule including Vref available at AOPA.org.... I don't know that Maule Air offered any sort of 'spar repair', that I ever heard of, but repairs can be done on spar depending upon area and nature of damage? I suggest you need to find an A&P / IA familiar with the Maule to have evaluate what sounds like a previously repaired Maule? It sounds as though you have an airplane identified, and a pre-purchase inspection by someone could potentially save you hundreds of dollars....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

swixtt

Maule

Post by swixtt »

hi, thanks very much for the reply. yes i have the drawings from Maule on this 'kit' they did years ago but no longer offer as an 'approved' method. you can still do them from what i've put together but would need to be signed off independently.
i'm trying to find out good info before i go into a pre-purchase to see if it is even worth considering a plane that has had this done.
i think the plane aside from this issue is a good fit for me but am researching what i can before i go further.
can i get a copy of that from AOPA without being a member? i'm a COPA member but they aren't 'username' affiliated if you follow me.
thanks again.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

I made this repair a while back and it was approved.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Can't get Vref from AOPA unless you're a member, Jeremy from site here could probably give you some range for bluebook based on year and model... You're not saying much to clarify if you have an existing spar repair that was approved years ago or you're wanting to do an old repair procedure? If repair done years ago and it was approved, it's still approved and if flying that way for several years, still holding up, it's still a good and legal repair... I wouldn't be too concerned about it depending upon where in spar repair done, quality of repair, etc, etc.... If out near a wingtip which is where spars tend to get damage, repairs are fairly common... As you come inbd more, repairs get more critical. Another thing to look closely at, is remaining section of the spar straight...
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

swixtt

Post by swixtt »

thanks aero and MM, the photo of that repair is exactly what my drawing shows and what has been described to me. a few feet from the outboard end of the wing.
i will clarify that this is a repair on a wing that was done a few years ago and i'm just trying to research it before i go further with it, if i do. i can't physically see the plane as it is some distance from me. believe me, i wish i could!
thanks

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

If you will tell us a general location someone here may be able to point you towards a "Maule-savvy" pre-purchase inspector.

A few Maule items I would want to pay attention to (surely others will chime in):

Rusty longerons near the tail.
Rust near battery box.
Fabric age/condition.
Rotten wood stringers, especially belly and near the windows.
Struts - condition and a.d. compliant.
Oleos and gear, in particular oleo and gear attach bolts, gear leg straightness.
Rat nests under the interior panels (not neccesarily Maule-specific)

Hope that helps, I'm sure there are more.........

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_ ... +180b.html

I think this might be the plane Pete is looking at.

I would expect Canadian prices to be a bit higher than US, partly due to our ever unfavorable (for the consumer) exchange rate, and because of the relative scarcity of Maules here.

Is it kosher to ask for ideas on value?

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

I assume io-360 is misprint. Otherwise I want one

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

IO360 and carb ice detect don't exactly go together.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Most be o-360, for the 180 horse, 4 cyl. version the seller is talking about.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If that's the one he's looking at, I'd say it's overpriced for current market, based on being '88 model with the short wings and damage history. I just sold a '96 M7-235B for $65K with similar avionics, 700hr TT Airframe and engine, maybe not quite as clean a fuselage. Another '95 MX7-180 recently sold up here for $55K to $60K which had long wings, and was a good clean airplane. MX7's never had the IO 360 Conti installed that I know of, which I'm sure makes it an O360 Lycoming?
Jim

swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Thx for the comments. I was thinking all along this was the long wing ver because it is a B but I don't think it is based on the year.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Are longer wing versions more desirable / valuable?

I'm a bit surprised to read of the selling price of a newer example with a 235 hp. I'm glad to hear that, as I'm sure Pete is, as he evaluates his options.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Many advertisements use the various designation letters to enhance the ad.
Many Maule owners do not know the correct designation letters.
The 1988 MX7 had a 30'10" wing though this one may have had a wing upgrade to the B universal 1993 onward wing of 32'11"
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide