New Member and Questions

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Many advertisements use the various designation letters to enhance the ad.
Many Maule owners do not know the correct designation letters.
The 1988 MX7 had a 30'10" wing though this one may have had a wing upgrade to the B universal 1993 onward wing of 32'11"
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Thx Jeremy. You are correct. Spec sheet shows a C model, ad shows a B model but it is probably a straight model! I had wrongly assumed it was the long wing possibly. I'm confirming that though but no reports of any wing changes in the logs. I'm learning;)

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Brenton C wrote:Are longer wing versions more desirable / valuable?

I'm a bit surprised to read of the selling price of a newer example with a 235 hp. I'm glad to hear that, as I'm sure Pete is, as he evaluates his options.
I only see the longer wing as more valuable because it is newer and newer usually costs more. I suppose if your particular use for the plane requires it to go slower then perhaps it is the most desirable option. The short wing is faster on top but also faster on the bottom, if that makes sense.

It would appear to me that the short wing may be smoother in choppy air, but perhaps not enough difference to be noticed?

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

The short wing is faster. I saw that when I flew in formation with my m7 and a m5 210 c

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Misunderstandings also arise with the C designation
M4 210 or 220 C, or M5 180, 200, 210, 220, 235 C all designate the double Cargo door.
MX7 M6 M7 did not get a C though they do have the cargo doors.
From 1997 the wide gear option was offered and this was designated C on the M7 and as in MX7-180A (fixed pitch oleo)
MX7-180AC (fixed pitch wide gear)
MX7-180B (cs prop, universal wing, oleo gear)
MX7-180C (cs prop, universal wing wide gear)
MX7-180 (cs prop, short wing, oleo gear)

The short wing on M4 and 5 is also 30'10", but that is measures from tip of delta sweep of the drooped tip, whereas the early (1985 to 1993) 30'10" MX7 measurement is from outer edge of squared tip and it has a little more lifting surface than the drooped wing tip.

Each wing has different pros and cons and for what its worth, I flew hard bush for years in AK before M6 and 7 was invented with the M5-235. Still today I could go with an M5-235 places I would not go with the M7 or early MX7.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The slight speed increase with the short wing is not significant and is often overcome by the increased drag of unfaired gear legs and big tires. The additional lift of a larger wing helps with shorter take offs on land or water. The only advantage that I've found with my 30'10" wing is more clearance from trees on narrow strips.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

DITTO Andy!!! Long wing also makes for considerably better float plane take off distances as well... It's not just wing length, but flap / aileron lengths also contribute to better STOL performance and at slower speeds. Although I have seen that short winged M4 make into surprising places...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Thanks a bunch guys. the info on this site is great and in-particular this thread to me. sounds like the later MX7's would be the right fit for me but probably not the right fit for the finances. probably going to stick with this era of plane due to the budget.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I think the 180 HP's benefit from the larger wing in takeoff performance. The big engines can overcome some of the reduced lift of the smaller wing.

The 180's are not going anywhere fast anyways so a little loss in cruise is a fair price to pay for a safe takeoff.

JMHO.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

For what its worth, my Maule of the '70s and ,80s was an M5-235 which was 30'10" wing(no VGs)droop tip.
A light fast and agile roll and yaw airplane which took me to places I would not want to try today plus got me the shortest landing of 86ft at the AK competitions in the '80s. That beat 26 Cubs, Terns, Scouts, a Helio.
Tuned right and flown right the short wing has some very predictable advantages.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

maules.com wrote:For what its worth, my Maule of the '70s and ,80s was an M5-235 which was 30'10" wing(no VGs)droop tip.
A light fast and agile roll and yaw airplane which took me to places I would not want to try today plus got me the shortest landing of 86ft at the AK competitions in the '80s. That beat 26 Cubs, Terns, Scouts, a Helio.
Tuned right and flown right the short wing has some very predictable advantages.

I agree