skis

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

skis

Post by Victor Gennaro »

I am considering skis for my plane this winter. Looking at options wheel penetration skis seem best for my purpose. I am looking at TrikAir products. Does anyone have any experience with them or any other suggestions.

JDW

Post by JDW »

Victor, I've been using Trick airs on my MX7180C for 4 winters now. They work OK for what I use them for. Had issues with the bungy cords stretching & freezing but Jeramy with trick air has been sending me new ones to try out & I believe the set I tried this last winter has solved the problem. Will know for sure this winter. When I first got them I had single puck brakes mounted on the back side of my spring gear. Ran 2 winters that way and had no issues. Had to install double pucks for bush wheels they are mounted on the front of the spring gear. Had clearance issues with the brakes on the skis. Trick air sent me a cut out to install on skis. Since I have had double pucks on the front have had real problems with them freezing in the winter. Stay off the brakes, be ready with quick feet on the rudders when landing on pavement & carry a bottle of alcohol to poor on the brakes when they freeze. In my opinion there no such thing as the perfect ski. Be ready for anything & enjoy ski flying.

taildragger
100+ Posts

Aeroski option

Post by taildragger »

Hi,

I have been using the Aeroski R2800 mechanical retractable skis the last two winters and have been pleased with them for my purpose. They give you the option of full ski takeoffs and landing with wheels. They do require small tires. I got an extra set of used wheels and brake disc and then swap from my 8.5's to small wheels and skis.

Scott

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

aeroskis would get my vote as well, if you gotta have wheels....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

skymarc
100+ Posts

Post by skymarc »

Had an M5-210C with a set of Schneider 4000 fixed penetration skis before.

Worked pretty good and in soft snow you could deflate the tire and insert a plate to plug the hole and basically this was giving you some straight skis.

Check around I see some for sale once in a while.
They are built out of aluminium and are very strong.