M4 220C questions

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
perkak

M4 220C questions

Post by perkak »

I currently own a M4 with the 0300 conmtinental in it. Am looking at another M4 with the Franklin 220. Any thoughts, pros/cons, performance, availiablility of franklin parts, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Perk

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

I feel like people either love the Franklins or hate them. And hating them may be based off things they have heard rather than experienced. I purchased my M4-220C last summer, been enjoying it. An airplane with good performance and utility that I can afford! If your used to flying an M4 with the O-300, than I think you would thoroughly enjoy the boost in performance you gain with the 220hp Franklin. My engine is mid-time, and has been running great. Never owned a franklin before, so working on them is slightly different. Some things easier and other things more difficult than Lycomings/Continentals. Smooth running engine though! I hope to see Franklin engines back into production, it's good to have more power plant options.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Franklin

Post by chazdevil »

I've got hundreds of hours behind the Franks and enjoyed them immensely. I'm flying behind a 0-540 now which I like but doesn't feel the hot rod the 220 did. That motor (like them all) really deserves the longer prop Maulewaco has discussed.
So, one vote for the M4-220 here.
Chaz
79 M5 235Turbo

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

I fell into a great deal on a M4-220C two years ago. It was a pending repo so I got a great deal. I had no experience with a Franklin before that. I have since put about 100 hours on it with no major issues. I did get a field approval for the C201 prop which I have installed. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan so I cant give any specifics on the increased performance. I installed the VG kit, extended gear and 31" bushwheels. It has taken me to backcountry MT and ID on a few flyfishing trips. You will become familiar with Suzane Prall at Franklin Engine Co if you buy a M4-220. She is a wealth of information and parts. I had a few issues with intake gaskets. Otherwise I have been very happy with my Maule. It lets me combine my two favorite hobbies flying and flyfishing.
flyfish1

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Another go source is Southern Aero Google them Bob gives seminars at air venture and is a wealth of info. I have a Franklin on my m4 and love it. Unfortunately I had an issue the oleo and am waiting for the insurance company to make the decision on weather it is a total or repair. It's a money thing for them of course . Good luck with your choice.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The M4 with 220 Franklin, longer McCauley Prop, and 31" bushwheels for added AOA on ground makes for a wonderful short field performer... Susan Prall and Southern Aero both good resources for parts and advise. According to Susan, 220's should be back in production before long out of Europe again. If that's the case, and they're as reasonable as the Polish version, you could buy a New engine cheaper then a cheap overhaul as well...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

perkak

Post by perkak »

thanks for all the info. points me i the right direction and gives me some great tips. Thanks again. Perk